Saturday, June 22, 2013

[Electric Boats] Re: Electric Ericson 27 Long Beach California

 

Set screws are harder than most drill bits, so drilling it out's not going to work. Is the shaft keyed? If so, then heating the coupling will cause it to expand and at the same time relieve the pressure from the set screw (which typically presses on the key, not the shaft), and you might be able to remove it off with a pulley puller.

Or, cut the shaft behind the coupler and attach the motor with a new coupler.

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "jonathanheirendt" <jonathanheirendt@...> wrote:
>
>
> Yeah, I was afraid of that. I will be bringing my grinder too just in case the heat does not do the trick. There appears to be a rusty set screw through the coupling but I can't get it to move. Will I have to drill this out prior to heating and pulling or can I just try to take the whole assembly off with the set screw still attached? By the way does anybody know what size shaft packing I will need? 1974 Ericson 27 3/4" shaft. All help is very much appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Jonathan
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (14)
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment