Tuesday, June 11, 2013

[Electric Boats] Re: Battery charging questions...

 

What I would do is rather than only use TWO of the 12v batteries for the Traxxis I would reconfigure the batteries in series-parallel to 24v. Then in theory at least you'll draw them all down equally. For recharging, reconfigure them back to 48 volts and charge away with the Torqueedo charger.

I wouldn't want to do it every day, but it'll work for a test.

Willie

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, oak <oak_box@...> wrote:
>
> I know this isn't optimal, but for tomorrow, I need to work with what I've got...    Will this work???
>  
>  
> I currently have the 48V Torqeedo mounted on my Catalina 22.   I'm also anxiously anticipating the arrival of my 80# Traxxis Minn-Kota trolling motor tomorrow.   Unfortunately, I don't (yet) have a 24V battery bank or a 24V charger.
>  
> What I'd *LIKE* to try tomorrow evening is going out with the Torqeedo and collecting a little more run data (wattage  vs. speed), then swap out to the Traxxis trolling motor, and try the same thing.
>  
> Obviously, I can plug the Traxxis (24V) into two of the four 12V batteries - but that will leave them unbalanced.  I'm not planning to run the batteries down deeply, but will clearly take more charge off than the others will have.
>  
> So....
>  
> If I charge all 4 batteries for the next 2-3 days on a small 48V trickle charger - will they eventually equalize out?  (I would expect that they would.)
>  
> Longer term (and I think I've already asked this question, and gotten a "yes", but just checking again...) - if I hook up two 12V chargers to two 12V batteries connected in series, is there any problem?  I'm assuming the chargers have outputs that are isolated from the input and from ground.
>  
> I hope to have some interesting data to post soon!
>  
> John
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic ()
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment