Sunday, October 28, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] Watch those amps!

 



Not a boat, but still relevant to the discussion:

In case you haven't read it before, here's a sobering account of an accidental short circuit when connecting a battery bank.

http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/blog/?page_id=10

Anybody know what is required to create a plasma fire? Is it even possible with our relatively low voltage banks?

-Tom

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <boat_works@...> wrote:
>
>
>
>
> In some installations you can orient the terminals so that a dropped tool isn't long enough to create a problem.
>
> Not so in my installation, so I put adhesive-lined heatshrink tubing
> over the wrench I use for the terminals, leaving only the jaw of the wrench exposed. This is the only tool I use on the cells, unless I put a rubber sheet over the bank.t, but still relevaa
>
> Years ago I was making the last connection on a battery installation, being very careful to cup the end of the tool in my palm so it couldn't short to anything. What I hadn't considered was that the wrench was making contact with my gold wedding band, and I made contact with something.
>
> The flash was memorable, and the chunk the arc took out of the ring was impressive, but what really got my attention was the heat that was generated. One of the nastiest burns I have had. Rubber gloves have seemed like a really good idea ever since.
>
> -Tom
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> grip the wrench carefull
>
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Mike <bianu
> > Yes, In my case the cable lug became a fuse and a good thing too!  I would imagine a solid tool like a wrench would not so easily become a fusible link like the lug did . Indeed using solid handled tools requires even more caution around battery terminals.
> >
> > Capt. Mike
> > http://biankablog.blogspot.com
> >
> >
> >
> > ________________________________
> > From: Kirk McLoren <kirkmcloren@>
> > To: "electricboats@yahoogroups.com" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> 
> >
> >
> > Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 1:27 PM
> > Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Watch those amps!
> >
> >
> >  
> > Hello Captain Mike.
> > In the event of a short the only limiting factor is the few milliohms of the wire. It internal impedance of the battery is very small.
> > The resultant current may be many times 200.
> > I have seen wrenches get eaten. Always remove wristwatch and rings before working.
> > Kirk
> >  
> > To love God in the most practical way is to love our fellow beings.
> >
> >
> >
> > ________________________________
> > From: Mike <biankablog@>
> > To: ELECTRIC BOATS <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
> > Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 7:12 AM
> > Subject: [Electric Boats] Watch those amps!
> >
> >
> >  
> > Well, while I was adding some terminals for a new helm instrumentation project one if the battery interconnect cable  lugs touched the post of the battery next to it for under a second. Thought this group would like to see the result:
> > http://biankablog.blogspot.com/2012/10/mistakes-of-electric-sailor.html
> >
> > Not great harm but, it certainly got my attention. Just a reminder to be careful around those batteries.
> >
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (18)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment