Tuesday, October 23, 2012

[Electric Boats] Lead battery charging

 


I'm getting tired of wondering if my "smart" charger is being outsmarted...
I've now experienced three chargers that failed to charge various batteries on the boat.  Two were admittedly cheap 12v chargers, the third is a (relatively) inexpensive 48V charger.

In all cases, the batteries were fairly heavily discharged, and the chargers were left plugged into shore power - sometimes WHILE the battery is stil under load.  In the case of the 48V charger - I still had the charger connected to shore power and to the battery while I was running the motor in the slip.  The charger is only a 2A charger, so I fully expected it to just keep trying to charge as the battery was drained.   Didn't expect it to kill the charger.

1)  If I'm running battery operated device (bilge pump, stereo, inverter, motor, etc.) is it BAD (for the charger) to have a charger plugged in and connected to the battery (attempting to charge the battery)?

2)  If I'm charging a deep cycle lead battery, I can simply attach a regulated supply with a current limit resistor and diode, and that will eventually get the battery up to the regulated voltage (minus the diode drop) - right?  I realize there's lots of really smart chargers that should get me there faster, better, and with better ultimate battery life - but in simple terms (return to the OLD days) - if I apply a regulated voltage, it'll charge the battery, right??

John

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (11)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment