Monday, September 5, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Eric, repair aluminum threads on camp stove

 

Eric, to repair the galled threads on aluminum try gas brazing with an aluminum welding stick such as hts 2000 http://www.aluminumrepair.com/aluminum_repair.asp  watch the video, they show how to repair stripped out threads.  i bought some of these rods on ebay, but have not tried it yet.

 

Good luck and good camping.

Ken 


On September 4, 2011 at 10:35 AM Eric <ewdysar@yahoo.com> wrote:


Moving to a much lower volume item, I could say the same about my discontinued MSR Firefly backpacking stove. The newer WhisperLite and SimmerLite models are lighter, simpler, with less manintenance (better for most people) but they aren't as easy to simmer with (SimmerLite seems like a misnomer) When I ruined my old FireFly stove during maintenance (galled threads on an aluminum part) I was told that the factory did not have that replacement part, however they did offer a generous trade-in for one of their newer models. I asked them why they removed my favorite feature from the newer models, they said that is was more difficult (expensive) to make and caused half of the reported problems and repairs with their stoves, so I can understand why they removed the extra metering valve from the design. I bought another used one on ebay, so I still have a working FireFly stove, along with a newer SimmerLite and a few other backpacking stoves.


Fair winds,
Eric
Marina del Rey, CA

-

 

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


A good Credit Score is 720, find yours & what impacts it at freecreditscore.com.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment