Tuesday, September 20, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Catalina 27 conversion

 

Leland.
I represent Electric Yachts on the West Coast. The Catalina 27 is a straight forward conversion. Both Scott McMillan (owner of EY) and I have Catalina 27 electric propulsion and I will be glad to share with you pictures and details of the conversion.
Was the diesel the original motor or was it an earlier replacement for an Atomic 4, they came both ways? The EY 100ibl will push you boat at hull speed with great efficiency. I have a small 100amp gel battery system and it has exceeded my projections of distance of 10 miles to now be 15 miles at about 4kts. In my larger Newport 30 I have a 300amp battery supply and it has a 40 mile range. The Catalina also has a 2 bladed 12X10 composite prop from Performance Propeller (this I believe is the reason for the greater performance and range). The total system including the sightly used batteries was $5000 and took about two days to complete the install. I can give you a quote if you would be kind enough to visit my website:
http://electricyachtssocal.com
Additionally we have a sales person in Washington who can help you with demonstrations and hands on experience with the systems.
Regards, Mike
Electric Yachts of Southern California

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <ewdysar@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Leland,
>
> You're in luck. The Catalina 27 displaces less than 4 tons, so most of the regular drive systems available from vendors will work well. You should have a drive that is rated for 4kW continuous, and you certainly won't need anything more powerful than 5.5kW. Since you're converting a boat that is similar to other conversions, the performance of your boat will be easily predicted.
>
> If you are considering vendor supplied solutions, four of the vendors that are represented in this group are (in alphabetical order) Advanced Marine electric Propulsion, Annapolis Hybrid Marine (seller of ASMO drives), Electric Yacht, and Propulsion Marine. They all sell good products. I chose Propulsion Marine in Santa Barbara when I converted my Cheoy Lee Bermuda 30, I couldn't be happier with the quality of the product and the vendor support.
>
> When you get a little father into the details, I can give you detailed range and speed numbers for a variety of battery options. There are a number of other active group members here that can share their experiences with their electric conversions. For some sailors, electric can be a huge improvement over ICE, for others, the compromises in range can be too much to overcome. However, I think that most of the people that have converted have found that battery range is not as much of an issue as it seemed before we converted.
>
> Good luck and welcome to the future.
>
> Fair winds and smooth seas,
> Eric
> 1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda 30 ketch, Propulsion Marine 5.5kW drive, 8kWh LiFePO4 batteries
> Marina del Rey, CA
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "iindiv" <iindiv@> wrote:
> >
> > I have been lurking on the list for a while now and may be in the position to convert a late 70's Catalina 27 to electric. It currently has a 2 cylinder diesel that has failed. I am interested in getting some quotes from the people on this list who provide complete systems. The boat weighs about 7500 pounds so I am guessing I need something around a 4kw system. I am up in Bellingham Washington so shipping needs to be considered too. Any other feedback is also welcome. I understand the range and power tradeoffs and think this boat is an excellent candidate.
> >
> > Leland
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment