Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Using a 48V battery with a trolling motor?

 

Your best bet would be to rewire the cells to put out 4x amps, 1/4x voltage and use a 12v motor - that would be plenty of power for a mill creek 16.

Do not use a resistor to drop voltage, you will waste most of your power.

If you need to keep the pack at 48v to swap out to your bike you can buy a 48/12 transformer.  Make sure it can handle the amps, though.

Denny Wolfe


On 9/21/2011 3:30 PM, Kellan wrote:

 

Hi,

I have a 48V 15ah lithium ion (LiFePO4)battery that I use for an electric bike I built. I would also like to use it to power a small boat, possibly my CLC Mill Creek 16.5 open cockpit kayak. The simplest thing for starters would be to use a stock trolling motor. Will I need to step the voltage down to 12V? Can I do that with just a resistor? If so, how do I determine what resistor to use.

Thanks,
Kellan

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment