Thursday, September 22, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Using a 48V battery with a trolling motor?

 

Hi, Kellan -

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 08:43:00PM -0000, Kellan wrote:
> Good point Ben. I didn't know they made 48V motors. The first thing I
> notice looking at the Minn Kota site is that they are expensive
> (average around $1000) and seem to be in the 50-60 lb thrust range.
> I'm interested in moving a small boat over a long distance, so I don't
> need a lot of thrust.

Oh - right. I'd missed that part. Yeah, all the 48V ones are pretty
powerful. Well, you _could_ use one to launch your boat into outer
space... :)

> It would be cheaper to buy a new battery, which
> would defeat my purpose of getting dual use out of a battery that cost
> me almost $600.

Given the above, I can think of two different approaches (although I
don't know if the second one would be at all cost-effective):

1) If you have access to the individual cells, you could wire them so
that you can draw either 48V or 12V from the pack. This would require
either setting up a ganged switch, which would make it convenient, or a
bit of fiddling and paying careful attention every time you shifted from
the bike to the boat.

2) You could buy a 48V->12V DC-DC converter; a quick search just turned
a 20 amp one on eBay (I'm assuming that this will be sufficient for your
needs) for ~$55.

http://tinyurl.com/3lbttzc

--
Ben Okopnik
-=-=-=-=-=-

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment