Thursday, September 29, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] REGEN SUCCESS!

 

Mike - 

Great news.   

As you know, we splashed our Hylas 44 last week with the shiny new Thoosa 12000 onboard.  Very quiet run from the yard marina to our slip up the river.  Very calm day but she handled wonderfully. 

Still have to do some real testing but the plan is to test with the old prop first to compare data against the Yanmar diesel.  We will then switch the prop to a bigger diameter and re-test for "watts to knots" data.  

I plan to install a monitor in the cockpit so I can observe amp usage - and hopefully regen - more easily. 

Thanks for your continued posts here and on your blog

Bill

 

On Sep 29, 2011, at 10:13 AM, Mike <biankablog@verizon.net> wrote:

 

I finally was able to observe my ASMO MARINE Thoosa 9000 system in regen mode after trying over three years. Strange thing was I was not even trying when I found it working. It was probably available all the time. I had recently started electro sailing instead of just letting the prop spin with the EP system off while under sail. One day when the boat was sailing along at 6 knots I checked the amp meter and noticed it had a  positive amp flow. Did the happy dance in cockpit! You can see the regen in action here on my blog:
 http://biankablog.blogspot.com/2011/09/another-advantage-of-electric.html
BTW I'm using the same three bladed prop I used with the diesel . Until I can rig up another meter so I can  observe the regen more easily in the cockpit I'll continue to check on it from time to time Though it's not easy to keep a constant eye on it with current meter location.  I'm still happy to know that it is working.
 
Capt. Mike
 
 

__._,_.___
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment