Thursday, September 22, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Catalina 27 conversion

 

Hi, Mike -

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 09:12:17AM -0700, Mike wrote:
>
> I would think there must be a system out there for your boat. My ASMO Marine
> Thoosa 9000 system works well on my 8 ton 30 footer. I know they had higher
> powered systems for larger boatsbut, I am not familiar with the specs.

Unfortunately, I think the problem is that my usage scenario falls
outside the workable pattern for an electric boat. :( I cruise up and
down the East Coast, with an occasional run out to the Bahamas, and have
plans that involve going beyond that (I spent a number of years sailing
the Caribbean, and want to go back there again.) Now, with winter coming
on, I've got to head south - and I need to be able to make 45-50 miles a
day at the very least, including in the Intracoastal Waterway - I'm not
all that keen on doing the outside, around Cape Hatteras, single-handed,
and being constrained to doing that by a motor that won't do the ICW is
just not reasonable.

From all indicators, that range requirement plus boat size (10.5 tons)
works out to either a ridiculously large battery bank plus a marina stay
at the end of each day, or a largish generator that will run all day
long. In addition, the best estimate I've seen so far is that a
replacement diesel including installation will cost me right around
$10k, while an electric system will be $22k or so just for the hardware.

[sigh] Unless I can find another approach to doing this, it seems like
I'm stuck with just swapping the diesel. I'd be more than willing to
spend, say, $15k on an electric system that would supply my needs, but
$22k plus installation plus any additional necessary parts (and there
are always some)... what is that, $25k? $30k? Way outside the range of
possibilities for me.

--
Ben Okopnik
-=-=-=-=-=-

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment