Tuesday, September 6, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Re Torqeedo 801

 



--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, don cavers <doncavers@...> wrote:
>
> I was told they replaced the 801 with the 100 series. It might also be because of glitches in that model. I got one but it was a total dud so it got returned.
> Chasedon
> electric truck, electric bike, but no longer electric boat.
>

Having fruitlessly scoured the European market for a 801 Travel base, I too started trying to have a conversation with Torqeedo. Accepting that I was asking questions in English, the best that I got was a response that asked me to identify where I lived in the UK - presumably with a view to a local stockist contacting me, so far with no further activity. Separately, I contacted the UK rep. who, when I contacted him as to the possibility of using a 1003 with external batteries, replied as follows:

"I fully appreciate what it is you are trying to do. Unfortunately at this present time there is no battery adaptor available for the Travel 503 / 1003. It has been discussed in the past and I am sure something will be produced in the future if there is a big enough demand. It is not as simple to produce as you may think. In the battery is a GPS receiver to allow for the continuous remaining range calculation. All this would need to be taken into account when developing such a product. That said I don't see it being for at least two years. You are correct in your comment about us offering a remote throttle and motor extension cable. This will not help you. The motor extension cable is simply a method to allow people to remove the Lithium battery from the motor and place it in a locker when in use."

The reference to remote throttles and cables was to seek confirmation that they would not provide a solution. The GPS issue appears to be a bit of red-herring: the Cruise 2.0 appears to have solved the problem without too much difficulty.

I do wonder whether it would be worth exploring the possibility of buying an equivalent brushless 24V, 1KW motor (one of the gear-less ones that rev at about 800rpm) and controller along with a Torqeedo 1000 series prop and work with solving the mechanical problems of building an IP67-standard housing. I suspect that the cost of the bits, even allowing for some machining of the mechanical bits would still come in a lot less than a Torqeedo, which even in the guise of the 1000 series, looks as though it may not be perfect (http://www.nautictest.com/archiv/740/index.html) - google chrome does enough of a translation to understand what they are going on about.

regards

Nigel

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE
A bad score is 598. A bad idea is not checking yours, at freecreditscore.com.

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment