Thursday, December 9, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Power supply to run motor

 

I can't say I have any solid opinion on e-pods or any commercial set up, never used them, but there are others on the group that should chime in. It sure seems like a good idea to me, get the motor out in the water where there's plenty of cooling, free up space inside the boat, etc. One wouldn't work on my hull but they'd be a good fit for more modern underbodies. I'd worry about the housing durability, it being aluminum and I'm sure having some dissimilar metals in there as well; outdrives and saildrives have problems like that so I'd expect this would too. Its not a deal killer by any stretch, it just means you've got to know about it and keep up.

If I had to guess, the cost would probably be out of my range for my current project. If this type of system ever reaches mass production it'll be very inexpensive, but they aren't there yet.

I seem to remember these being discussed not too long ago, you might try searching the archives.

David

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Carlos Silva <pahuac@gmail.com> wrote:
 

Thanks a lot, David.

I guess I will start on the design and production of a heme made belt reduction system and dig more onto the heat sink.

What's your opinion on e-pod's? On the name of simplicity this would be it for me http://www.mastervolt.com/marine/products/podmaster/podmaster-42/

Regards,

PS.: failed to mention before that I sail in Callao, Peru, so import duties are another significant cost factor.


--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, David Goldsmith <suntreader@...> wrote:
>
> Carlos,
>
> You can buy the Kelly controller as a complete unit with contactor, fuse
> block, and a good bit of the wiring, all mounted on an aluminum plate. I'm
> going to add an additional heat sink to help it all out because of the
> intended service and I just think its a good idea to keep these things as
> cool as possible. You can find large surplus heat sinks on eBay pretty
> easily.
>
> You do need some type of reduction to get the motor speed down to prop
> speed. I'm using the reduction/reversing gear box that was mated up to the
> diesel I removed, it was pretty straight forward to make an adapter plate
> but certainly more work than buying a drop in unit. I wouldn't have done
> this if I didn't already have the gear box, if I was starting from scratch
> it would have been a toss-up between a home-made belt reduction system or
> one of the small industrial gearboxes that are being used by others. They're
> all good solutions with some pros and cons each way. I'm sure one of these
> days, as the tech develops and as we get more experience with lots of
> different set ups, there will be some consensus on the best reduction
> methods.
>
> You can see some pictures of my reduction set up in the photo album SV Sun
> Treader in the group pictures.
>
> David
>
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 7:02 PM, Carlos Silva pahuac@... wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > Very interesting and useful information, David.
> >
> > I am finalizing my research for conversion of a 1954 30' wooden Phillip
> > Rhodes which today has an 15hp outboard achieving up to 5.5 knts and spends
> > 1 gal of gasoline per hour.
> >
> > After a lot of reading and navigation on the web, my decision lies on 2
> > alternatives: the *Sevcon Brushless Sailboat Kit **
> > http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=55
> > *<http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=55>

> > * *and the *Solidnav Explorer* http://www.solidnav.com/explorer.htm.
> > Besides cost within more or less the same funtionality, simplicity of
> > installation is one of my priorities. I was also considering a Gen4
> > controller for the Sevcon Kit. Now I found through you that a Kelly 48301 is
> > also an alternative to consider and also found on their site a *Mars 3001
> > Kit* http://www.newkellycontroller.com/mars-3001-p-677.html which seems an
> > even better solution from a cost stand point.
> >
> > An issue that is not very clear to me is the need for a heat sink or
> > similar hardware which is only mentioned on the Sevcon 250 amp Installation
> > Manual. Does the Gen4 also need one? What about the other controllers.
> >
> > Another thing I was recommended and am considering is the use of gear
> > redcution. Since you mention it on your post, could you please send me the
> > details? Having an outboard, currently my boat does not have all of the
> > propeller parts, so any recommendation on this matter will be very much
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Carlos
> >
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Doug" dj2210@ wrote:
> > >
> > > David
> > > I just finished bench testing a Kelly 48301 with the Mars PMAC. I used
> > four 12v 45ah UPS batteries. My PMAC is connected to a 2:1 gear reducer so
> > really no load. With a tach on the gear reducer reading 1700 rpm the current
> > from the batteries was about 12 amps. The Kelly was easy to set up and I got
> > the throttle software option that allows one to use a pot centered to
> > provide forward in one direction and reverse in the other. I also have tried
> > the Sevcon gen4 and it also works good. The Sevcon is a sealed unit that IMO
> > is more robust and better placed electrical connections.
> > > Doug
> > >
> > > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "goldsmithfoil" suntreader@ wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Group,
> > > >
> > > > I'm setting up a MARS PMAC and Kelly KBL controller package for my
> > Islander 32 (about 10k pounds or so.) It'll run off a set of 6V cart
> > batteries.
> > > >
> > > > A couple of questions. Has anyone used a Kelly controller? I had
> > planned on a Sevcon originally but the Kelly seems like a nice unit (and its
> > probably half the cost once everything is wired up and running.)
> > > >
> > > > Second question: How can I go about bench testing the whole deal before
> > installation and before setting up the battery array. This conversion is
> > part of a larger restoration project and it'll be six months before the boat
> > heads to the water, I wanted to buy the batteries at the last moment so they
> > don't just sit for that long. I can buy a small 48v power supply, but how
> > much amperage is needed to test the system out? No need for full throttle,
> > just turn on and spin the prop some.
> > > >
> > > > Looking for power supplies got me thinking. Could you set up something
> > like this:
> > > >
> > > > http://www.trcelectronics.com/Meanwell/se-600-48.shtml
> > > >
> > > > First for testing and then installed to power the motor off of a Honda
> > 2000 generator? There would be enough power to run the motor off the power
> > supply and charge the batteries off a separate charger. That could give some
> > redundancy in case there is a problem with the batteries or their charger,
> > and I'd need the supply for running on the bench anyway.
> > > >
> > > > Thanks,
> > > > David
> > > >
> > >
> >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment