Thursday, December 9, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: Power supply to run motor

 

Thanks a lot, David.

I guess I will start on the design and production of a heme made belt reduction system and dig more onto the heat sink.

What's your opinion on e-pod's? On the name of simplicity this would be it for me http://www.mastervolt.com/marine/products/podmaster/podmaster-42/

Regards,

PS.: failed to mention before that I sail in Callao, Peru, so import duties are another significant cost factor.


--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, David Goldsmith <suntreader@...> wrote:
>
> Carlos,
>
> You can buy the Kelly controller as a complete unit with contactor, fuse
> block, and a good bit of the wiring, all mounted on an aluminum plate. I'm
> going to add an additional heat sink to help it all out because of the
> intended service and I just think its a good idea to keep these things as
> cool as possible. You can find large surplus heat sinks on eBay pretty
> easily.
>
> You do need some type of reduction to get the motor speed down to prop
> speed. I'm using the reduction/reversing gear box that was mated up to the
> diesel I removed, it was pretty straight forward to make an adapter plate
> but certainly more work than buying a drop in unit. I wouldn't have done
> this if I didn't already have the gear box, if I was starting from scratch
> it would have been a toss-up between a home-made belt reduction system or
> one of the small industrial gearboxes that are being used by others. They're
> all good solutions with some pros and cons each way. I'm sure one of these
> days, as the tech develops and as we get more experience with lots of
> different set ups, there will be some consensus on the best reduction
> methods.
>
> You can see some pictures of my reduction set up in the photo album SV Sun
> Treader in the group pictures.
>
> David
>
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 7:02 PM, Carlos Silva pahuac@... wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > Very interesting and useful information, David.
> >
> > I am finalizing my research for conversion of a 1954 30' wooden Phillip
> > Rhodes which today has an 15hp outboard achieving up to 5.5 knts and spends
> > 1 gal of gasoline per hour.
> >
> > After a lot of reading and navigation on the web, my decision lies on 2
> > alternatives: the *Sevcon Brushless Sailboat Kit **
> > http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=55
> > *<http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=55>
> > * *and the *Solidnav Explorer* http://www.solidnav.com/explorer.htm.
> > Besides cost within more or less the same funtionality, simplicity of
> > installation is one of my priorities. I was also considering a Gen4
> > controller for the Sevcon Kit. Now I found through you that a Kelly 48301 is
> > also an alternative to consider and also found on their site a *Mars 3001
> > Kit* http://www.newkellycontroller.com/mars-3001-p-677.html which seems an
> > even better solution from a cost stand point.
> >
> > An issue that is not very clear to me is the need for a heat sink or
> > similar hardware which is only mentioned on the Sevcon 250 amp Installation
> > Manual. Does the Gen4 also need one? What about the other controllers.
> >
> > Another thing I was recommended and am considering is the use of gear
> > redcution. Since you mention it on your post, could you please send me the
> > details? Having an outboard, currently my boat does not have all of the
> > propeller parts, so any recommendation on this matter will be very much
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Carlos
> >
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Doug" dj2210@ wrote:
> > >
> > > David
> > > I just finished bench testing a Kelly 48301 with the Mars PMAC. I used
> > four 12v 45ah UPS batteries. My PMAC is connected to a 2:1 gear reducer so
> > really no load. With a tach on the gear reducer reading 1700 rpm the current
> > from the batteries was about 12 amps. The Kelly was easy to set up and I got
> > the throttle software option that allows one to use a pot centered to
> > provide forward in one direction and reverse in the other. I also have tried
> > the Sevcon gen4 and it also works good. The Sevcon is a sealed unit that IMO
> > is more robust and better placed electrical connections.
> > > Doug
> > >
> > > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "goldsmithfoil" suntreader@ wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Group,
> > > >
> > > > I'm setting up a MARS PMAC and Kelly KBL controller package for my
> > Islander 32 (about 10k pounds or so.) It'll run off a set of 6V cart
> > batteries.
> > > >
> > > > A couple of questions. Has anyone used a Kelly controller? I had
> > planned on a Sevcon originally but the Kelly seems like a nice unit (and its
> > probably half the cost once everything is wired up and running.)
> > > >
> > > > Second question: How can I go about bench testing the whole deal before
> > installation and before setting up the battery array. This conversion is
> > part of a larger restoration project and it'll be six months before the boat
> > heads to the water, I wanted to buy the batteries at the last moment so they
> > don't just sit for that long. I can buy a small 48v power supply, but how
> > much amperage is needed to test the system out? No need for full throttle,
> > just turn on and spin the prop some.
> > > >
> > > > Looking for power supplies got me thinking. Could you set up something
> > like this:
> > > >
> > > > http://www.trcelectronics.com/Meanwell/se-600-48.shtml
> > > >
> > > > First for testing and then installed to power the motor off of a Honda
> > 2000 generator? There would be enough power to run the motor off the power
> > supply and charge the batteries off a separate charger. That could give some
> > redundancy in case there is a problem with the batteries or their charger,
> > and I'd need the supply for running on the bench anyway.
> > > >
> > > > Thanks,
> > > > David
> > > >
> > >
> >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment