Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Electric Kicker

 

Thanks Eric!

I spent about half the day today searching for connectors, but didn't
run accross Andersons. I'll look them up for sure. I'll have a
difficult time locating them someplace dry unless they are narrow
enough to fit through a small hole in the hull. I've been looking at
plugs and receptacles made specifically for trolling motors, so
they're water tight. I'll figure something out.

I really appreciate the research you did on my motors. I was
wondering how many amps they draw. Technical support at Minn Kota
wasn't much help because the motors are'nt designed for what I am
doing with them. They wouldn't suggest any kind of connector.

I'll be interested in my watts to knots too! I would be very happy
with 4 or 5 knots.

Thanks again,
~James

On 12/29/10, Eric <ewdysar@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> I checked out the MinnKota website for specifics about your setup. It looks
> like the dual motors have dual controllers and with the max amperage listed
> as 116A @ 24V, I'll assume that each motor can draw almost 60A. Therefore,
> you'll ant to make sure that each disconnect is rated for at least that much
> current. Anderson SB connectors are what almost all EV people use, they
> come in 50A, 175A and 350A versions. Given your setup, I would go with the
> 175A ones for each motor, just to be on the safe side of things. These
> connectors are not specifically waterproof, so you'll want to make sure that
> they are located in a relatively protected area. MinnKota says that the
> motor leads are 12 feet long so locating the connectors should not be a
> problem.
>
> I don't know the typical efficiency of a trolling motor and prop setup like
> you've got, however if it is close to what people are getting with inboard
> installations you can expect about 4 knots from about 1000W (42A @ 24V).
> I'll be interested in your "watts to knots" numbers once you're up and
> running to compare your observed performance to other existing conversions.
>
> Fair winds,
> Eric
> Marina del Rey, CA
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "jameszagray" <jzagray@...> wrote:
>>
>> Howdy! I joined your group because I am on a quest to eliminate the use
>> of a gas engine as a "kicker" on my 1974 Aquarious-23 sailboat. I bought
>> a Minn Kota, 24v, 160 lb. thrust, dual engine mount motor, and have just
>> finished mounting it to the bottom part of an old Johnson outboard with
>> the power head removed. For now, I'm going to run 2 12v deep cycle
>> batteries wired for 24v, charged by 2 12v, 30w solar panels, also wired
>> for 24v. The plan is to someday add at least 2 more batteries and 2 more
>> solar panels. Right now, the boat is wired to run the 65 lb. Minn Kota I
>> used last season from a plug on the transom. I need to figure out how to
>> run cables and disconnects for my new system so I can easily take the
>> motor off the boat for trailering.
>>
>> I'll be posting pictures of what I have so far in the album "Electric
>> Kicker". I would love to have input, comments and advise from those of
>> you with experience.
>>
>> Happy sailing!
>> ~James
>>
>
>
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Find useful articles and helpful tips on living with Fibromyalgia. Visit the Fibromyalgia Zone today!


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment