Thursday, December 30, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Electric Kicker

 

Thanks for the info Mark!

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 11:48 AM, acsarfkram <acsarfkram@yahoo.com> wrote:
 

Hi James,

I think tolling motor props are optimized for trolling - low speed high thrust. I put a Torqeedo prop on a MotorGuide 109 (36 volt/105 lb thrust). It accelerated better than the stock MotorGuide prop but was the opposite pitch. I don't know if Minn Kota is the same but the MotorGuide spun at higher RMP's in forward "gear". I ended up with a lower top end speed.

Mark
Santa Cruz



--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, James Zagray <jzagray@...> wrote:
>
> Thanks Victor,
>
> Any idea which specific model plane prop it is and where it can be found?
>
> You have to wonder about this kind of thing. You would think that Minn Kota
> has put a lot of R & D behind their props, and I'm sure they will tell you
> that what they have supplied with the motor is the best trade-off between
> thrust and energy efficiency. If I find I need a bit more power, I'll look
> into changing the props.
>
> ~James
>
> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 10:08 AM, vjmtymo <vjmtymo@...> wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > Apparently, some people have swapped out the trolling motor prop in favour
> > of a large model airplane prop to change the pitch and give a bit more push.
> > Just a thought.
> >
> > Victor
> >
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com <electricboats%40yahoogroups.com>,

> > James Zagray <jzagray@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thank you Ned,
> > >
> > > Unfortunately I don't think these are going to work for me because they
> > are
> > > not waterproof. The best solution for my application looks like a plug
> > and
> > > receptacle. I'm leaning toward this one:
> > >
> > http://www.cabelas.com/auto-boat-battery-accessories-ranger-style-trolling-motor-plug-receptacle-3.shtml?type=product&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleBaseUSA&WT.z_mc_id1=699783&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=B203DE51-F5D2-DF11-82EF-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA
> > > Since there are 2 wires for each motor and this is 4 prong, I should be
> > able
> > > to wire them both through one plug.
> > >
> > > ~James
> > >
> > > On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 6:32 AM, Ned Farinholt <nedfarinholt@>wrote:
> >
> > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > James,
> > > > Here is a source for the Anderson connectors.
> > > >
> > > >
> > http://www.solarseller.com/anderson_sb_quick_connect___disconnect_cable_connectors__accessories__stage_wiri.htm
> > > > Ned
> > > >
> > > > On Dec 29, 2010, at 10:33 PM, James Zagray wrote:
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Thanks Eric!
> > > >
> > > > I spent about half the day today searching for connectors, but didn't
> > > > run accross Andersons. I'll look them up for sure. I'll have a
> > > > difficult time locating them someplace dry unless they are narrow
> > > > enough to fit through a small hole in the hull. I've been looking at
> > > > plugs and receptacles made specifically for trolling motors, so
> > > > they're water tight. I'll figure something out.
> > > >
> > > > I really appreciate the research you did on my motors. I was
> > > > wondering how many amps they draw. Technical support at Minn Kota
> > > > wasn't much help because the motors are'nt designed for what I am
> > > > doing with them. They wouldn't suggest any kind of connector.
> > > >
> > > > I'll be interested in my watts to knots too! I would be very happy
> > > > with 4 or 5 knots.
> > > >
> > > > Thanks again,
> > > > ~James
> > > >
> > > > On 12/29/10, Eric <ewdysar@ <ewdysar%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
> > > > > Hi James,
> > > > >
> > > > > I checked out the MinnKota website for specifics about your setup. It
> > > > looks
> > > > > like the dual motors have dual controllers and with the max amperage
> > > > listed
> > > > > as 116A @ 24V, I'll assume that each motor can draw almost 60A.
> > > > Therefore,
> > > > > you'll ant to make sure that each disconnect is rated for at least
> > that
> > > > much
> > > > > current. Anderson SB connectors are what almost all EV people use,
> > they
> > > > > come in 50A, 175A and 350A versions. Given your setup, I would go
> > with
> > > > the
> > > > > 175A ones for each motor, just to be on the safe side of things.
> > These
> > > > > connectors are not specifically waterproof, so you'll want to make
> > sure
> > > > that
> > > > > they are located in a relatively protected area. MinnKota says that
> > the
> > > > > motor leads are 12 feet long so locating the connectors should not be
> > a
> > > > > problem.
> > > > >
> > > > > I don't know the typical efficiency of a trolling motor and prop
> > setup
> > > > like
> > > > > you've got, however if it is close to what people are getting with
> > > > inboard
> > > > > installations you can expect about 4 knots from about 1000W (42A @
> > 24V).
> > > > > I'll be interested in your "watts to knots" numbers once you're up
> > and
> > > > > running to compare your observed performance to other existing
> > > > conversions.
> > > > >
> > > > > Fair winds,
> > > > > Eric
> > > > > Marina del Rey, CA
> > > > >
> > > > > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com<electricboats%40yahoogroups.com><electricboats%

> > 40yahoogroups.com>,
> >
> > > > "jameszagray" <jzagray@> wrote:
> > > > >>
> > > > >> Howdy! I joined your group because I am on a quest to eliminate the
> > use
> > > > >> of a gas engine as a "kicker" on my 1974 Aquarious-23 sailboat. I
> > bought
> > > > >> a Minn Kota, 24v, 160 lb. thrust, dual engine mount motor, and have
> > just
> > > > >> finished mounting it to the bottom part of an old Johnson outboard
> > with
> > > > >> the power head removed. For now, I'm going to run 2 12v deep cycle
> > > > >> batteries wired for 24v, charged by 2 12v, 30w solar panels, also
> > wired
> > > > >> for 24v. The plan is to someday add at least 2 more batteries and 2
> > more
> > > > >> solar panels. Right now, the boat is wired to run the 65 lb. Minn
> > Kota I
> > > > >> used last season from a plug on the transom. I need to figure out
> > how to
> > > > >> run cables and disconnects for my new system so I can easily take
> > the
> > > > >> motor off the boat for trailering.
> > > > >>
> > > > >> I'll be posting pictures of what I have so far in the album
> > "Electric
> > > > >> Kicker". I would love to have input, comments and advise from those
> > of
> > > > >> you with experience.
> > > > >>
> > > > >> Happy sailing!
> > > > >> ~James
> > > > >>
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >
>


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment