Saturday, December 25, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: Finally finished

 

Hi Victor,
The Alltrax installation was something I sort of threw together with left-over parts from previous projects, and I didn't really do anything to optimize it. Just put the fan on it and ran it that way. The controller is now driving an old E-trex motor as part of a lawn tractor conversion. The old Mars motor is going into my Duffy 18 next summer.
I did a little horse-trading with my brother and snagged one of his Electric Yacht 180ibl systems that he used as a boat show demo at Annapolis. It uses a Mars 7KW brushless motor, and should give the little Albin a real kick in the pants!
Obviously I like to tinker and experiment, I just wish the season wasn't so short up north. All my toys are buried under several feet of snow right now!
Good luck with your prop experiments. Let us know how how it goes. I like to believe regen has potential and I think prop optimization is going to be a key factor if you want to extract any serious power out of it. Sounds like you're heading in the right direction!
Cheers,
Jim McMillan

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "vjmtymo" <vjmtymo@...> wrote:
>
> Jim:
>
> Hey, thanks for the feedback. I haven't found the motor or the controller getting excessively hot (Alltrax 7234) even at 60 amps so perhaps something is different, I don't know. I also thought about making a water cooled circuit around the motor and cycling it through the skeg cooler (originally for the diesel) or something to that design if things became toasty. Recently found another used bronze motorboat prop for a good price. It's a 16 inch x 14 so I'm reshaping the ears to cut down the drag and pitching them up to a 16. Then we'll see if the regen potential is there before considering a controller change. Had the drive spinning quite well at 6 knots so I can imagine what another knot could contribute on a bigger wheel with more bite. In any case, it's all a great excuse to experiment and do some sailing this winter, as if I need an excuse.
> Again, thanks for letting me know about the temps and I'll monitor things even more closely. Do you still have the drive set-up on your boat or did you change up?
> Cheers.
>
> Victor

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment