Sunday, December 19, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: Torqeedo Cruise 2 and charging methods

 

Chris, for some reason (work) I missed your reply. Some of us hoped that the Torqeedo 1003 would make up for some of the limitations of the 801. Unfortunately Torqeedo does not sell battery adapter cables for this motor and the range using just the integral battery is not enough. So we are stuck with the 801 because you can hook it up to an external battery bank. Thanks. Steve S.

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "millsy321" <millsy321@...> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> Thanks Steve,
>
> I borrowed a 801 (Travel) and tried this first. In a calm it would move the boat along adaquately but against a head wind I could only manage 1.8 K at more than 1/2 RPM (fixed time +)- I didn't have a way to measure amp draw with the built-in battery at the time. The boat would almost stall coming off a wave unless at full throttle. Also the plastic bracket twisted quite a bit with the torque, compared with the aluminum bracket of the Cruise 2.
>
> The below figures for the Cruise 2 are against a stiff head wind and towing the dingy. I hope to do better in a calm. Anyway, having the extra "ommph" of the 2.0 makes us more comfortable, even if it may be a bit less efficient. With the amount of battery capacity onboard range should be no problem for intended use. I will shoot for more accurate figures once the E-meter is installed.
>
> Still haven't decided on the Battery Tender 4-bank vs. the Dual Pro 4-bank for finish charging.
>
> Regards,
> Chris
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <sstuller@> wrote:
> >
> > The Torqeedo website shows the 801 motor has an overall efficiency of 40% to 45% at inputs of 300 to 400 watts. The Cruise 2 efficiency is 30% to 35%. Your batteries would give you more range with the 801 at three knots than the Cruise 2. For a 23' sailboat I would think the smaller motor is a better choice if you are concerned about range. Thanks. Steve S.
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "millsy321" <millsy321@> wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > > I have, finally, about completed my e-drive installation on my 23' sailboat. Recently purchased a Torqeedo Cruise 2, powering through (6) 100 AH agm batteries (slightly used- in good condition) in a watertight keel cavity, also acting as ballast. I have only used the motor a few times but have so far been happy with the results: 50 amp max @ 24VDC; 25 amps gives me speed enough even against head winds; 15 amps keeps me moving at 3 knots.
> > >
> > > Torqeedo is very down on connecting multiple batteries together and I have divided them up into (2) 24VDC banks: Bank 1 has 4X batteries in series/parallel. Bank 2 has 2X batteries in series (I might add another two batts to this bank later on and place them elsewhere on the boat). I also have the option of connecting both 24V banks in parallel through a battery switch. On order is the Expert Lite battery monitor and Quick Charge OB24 with agm charging profile from Evolve Electrics. The Quick Charger I will connect through a battery switch with the idea in mind that I will be able to charge the idle bank through a small Honda genset eventually.
> > >
> > > This past weekend I went to hook up my older model Guest 4-bank battery charger on the boat. I had just used this charger to top up each battery before installing them. So the charger promptly melted and went up in smoke, which was disconcerting to say the least! I double and triple checked my wiring (see below), polarity, etc and it didn't seem to be me- it didn't even blow the fuses connected to each battery. I called tech support and they opined that it could be an internal fault in the charger, which is a little troubling in that I would have hoped that it was protected internally against such a thing. I should say that this charger is a 2004 model and does not have the AGM charge profile. I was going to replace it anyway, when funds came available.
> > >
> > > Where am I going with this? Recent posts talk about using separate chargers- bulk charging with the (Quick Charge) 24V charger and finishing up or maintaining with an isolated output charger. In order to charge all 6 batteries individually, I connected the Guest charger through (4) double-pole/double-throw toggle switches (2 switches are only connected to one side until I get two more batteries for this bank)- both pos and neg sides are connected. The Guest people didn't seem troubled by this but anyone here done anything similar,with DPDT switches,or foresee any problems?
> > >
> > > My next question is, what to replace the melted isolated output charger with: I could go with a Dual Pro SS4 (40 amp/10amp each), or for quite a bit less money a Battery Tender (Deltran) charger 4-bank (1.25 amp each). Both are supposed to have a suitable agm charging profile. I would think that the BT 1.25 amp charger would be sufficient to maintain each battery after bulk charging with the QC charger but what have others found? Do the LED charging lights give enough information with regard to the health of each battery?
> > >
> > > Or maybe (3) Power Cheq 2A balancers in lieu of the iso output charger altogether?
> > >
> > > Thanks all, Chris
> > >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Be a homeroom hero! Help Yahoo! donate up to $350K to classrooms!


Find useful articles and helpful tips on living with Fibromyalgia. Visit the Fibromyalgia Zone today!


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment