Wednesday, December 29, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: Electric Kicker

 

Hi James,

I checked out the MinnKota website for specifics about your setup. It looks like the dual motors have dual controllers and with the max amperage listed as 116A @ 24V, I'll assume that each motor can draw almost 60A. Therefore, you'll ant to make sure that each disconnect is rated for at least that much current. Anderson SB connectors are what almost all EV people use, they come in 50A, 175A and 350A versions. Given your setup, I would go with the 175A ones for each motor, just to be on the safe side of things. These connectors are not specifically waterproof, so you'll want to make sure that they are located in a relatively protected area. MinnKota says that the motor leads are 12 feet long so locating the connectors should not be a problem.

I don't know the typical efficiency of a trolling motor and prop setup like you've got, however if it is close to what people are getting with inboard installations you can expect about 4 knots from about 1000W (42A @ 24V). I'll be interested in your "watts to knots" numbers once you're up and running to compare your observed performance to other existing conversions.

Fair winds,
Eric
Marina del Rey, CA

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "jameszagray" <jzagray@...> wrote:
>
> Howdy! I joined your group because I am on a quest to eliminate the use of a gas engine as a "kicker" on my 1974 Aquarious-23 sailboat. I bought a Minn Kota, 24v, 160 lb. thrust, dual engine mount motor, and have just finished mounting it to the bottom part of an old Johnson outboard with the power head removed. For now, I'm going to run 2 12v deep cycle batteries wired for 24v, charged by 2 12v, 30w solar panels, also wired for 24v. The plan is to someday add at least 2 more batteries and 2 more solar panels. Right now, the boat is wired to run the 65 lb. Minn Kota I used last season from a plug on the transom. I need to figure out how to run cables and disconnects for my new system so I can easily take the motor off the boat for trailering.
>
> I'll be posting pictures of what I have so far in the album "Electric Kicker". I would love to have input, comments and advise from those of you with experience.
>
> Happy sailing!
> ~James
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment