Monday, September 6, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Folkboat Conversion

 

Thanks for replying to my post Don


There was a legitimate negative post recently about LPG but my view is if a boat already has LPG for refridge, heating, hot water, stove etc. that it is logical to run a motor on it there by combining fuel needs into one type and get rid of gas tank. There are safety concerns but there is for batteries, gasoline, and deisel also.

It does seem to me that while LPG certainly has its faults, they are far from insurmountable and it has many advantages, not least ecconomy.

get ignored again.(what's wrong with you guys!)

I'd say I was! lol

The smell really bothers me. Weight is my biggest hurdle.


They are very unfriendly to the planet and the weight is very significant, that said I don't know how much weight I could reduce weight from the system with a hybrid BUT it does give the option to spread the load which is particularly important in my Folkboat so the transom doesn't drag.

Also I added a link about how careful we all need to be with any type
of gas that when burned can put out carbon monoxide

Exactly, and Propane is predictable so precautions can be taken.

I'm very excited because the OZ controller is much along the lines of the manual controller that I had envisioned originally, with 12v parallel and 24v series (through the same battery bank) controlled by a manual (Etched PCB) motor controller, even includes regen.

The controller is great, wish I had the full design for the PCB, it is much like one I had for a remote control car but with more positions.

If anyone has plans for a 7 way PCB speed controller (rotational switch) then I'd love to see them, I tried searching google and its all electronic controllers.

Best thing with the OZ system is that it is simple enough and all the parts are available elsewhere, Motor, motor controller, folding prop, except the manual PCB based controller. In this way it could be easily put together from component parts or, parts replaced easily if one failed in use.

I particularly like the option of starting with the (presumably cheaper) PCB controller and upgrading later to the electronic speed controller and the ability to programme the micro controller directly with a hand-held device or PC.

For my purposes and very limited budget I could start by buying the motor (about $1k with 12v battery bank, 3 way switch (forward, off, reverse), later add batteries to get 24v, then generator and charger (solar, wind or genset), then power controller ($550 + controller $200) and later the regen module, lastly the prop-shaft and folding prop (optionally) . I also like the option of adding a second motor and counter-rotating prop but I can't see that would work on my boat sadly, however having a second motor may allow me to double the torque and therefore have a bigger prop.

This would allow me to replace my existing setup nicely and without wasting any investment or having to fork out the full amount in advance while incrementally improving my set-up.

Jenny

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment