Friday, September 24, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: motoring with a battery charger

 

Brian,

Congratulations. 27A @ 49V is very impressive from a portable generator and charger. I think that this is a great "off the shelf" solution that will work for many of the boats discussed on this board. This setup can address the range concerns that most people have when first contemplating an electric conversion.

If my regular life ever gets out of the way, I'll be able to get all the gear in my boat permanently installed and give additional long term reports from my similar setup of a Yamaha EF2000iS and Elcon 2000+.

This solution also has an advantage of being modular. You can bring the generator along only when you think that you will need it. for day sails, it can be left ashore.

Fair winds,
Eric
Marina del Rey, CA

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Holt" <drmsudo@...> wrote:
>
> Well the Elcon charger came this week and I installed it yesterday. It charges my AGM bank higher than the Dual Pro. I did test it out yesterday with my Honda 2000 generator. With my boat tied up in the slip I ran the motor while hooked up to the generator. Monitoring the paktrakr, I pulled 27 amp before the generator started bogging down. The voltage pulling at 27amp was a constant 49.2 and would occasionally climb then drop, but not below 49.2. When I shut down everything after 10min of use the voltage read 51.4 which is where I had started. I am very happy with these results as 20amp easily pushes my boat 4knts (in calm waters). This is a great set up! I rarely will use the generator, but I feel comfortable cruising longer distances now with this back up. It is also nice to have two chargers onboard. Hopefully the cost of LiFePo4 will come down to more reasonable cost in the future. Then I will already have a charger that will work for the new bank. Next project is to build a platform off the stern where I can place the generator while in use to keep the smell and sound to a minimum. I already have an idea utilizing my existing swim ladder. I will give an update when I have more experience using this set up. Thanks again for all the input!
> Brian
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <ewdysar@> wrote:
> >
> > Brian,
> >
> > You will need separate chargers for your AGMs and Lithium banks. The batteries have significantly different charging needs....
> >
> > Fair winds,
> > Eric
> >

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment