Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Catalina Conversion

 

Hello out there,
I think you guys got me mixed up with someone else!  My name is Paul Simeone.
I have a 33 foot cc chen sailboat that I want to convert to all electric poweer.  I know about thunderstruck but they say my boat is too large for their systems.  I am a novist, but very inventive and am TOTALLY NEW TO ELECTRICS!  I have a background in engineering and have been fixing and innovating all my life.  I lack technical information.  I realize that the more folks like us explore this new (not so new-tesla was thinkin about this stuff along time ago)e applied science, the better it gets!.  So here are some questions.
Whats a goood  motor company (brushless)?  What are good batteries and WHY (deep cycle, lithium --- what?).
What is a good company for wind power?
What is a good company for solar cells?
What about power regulation and charging systems etc?

Please repley,  starving for GOOD information.

Paul Simeone,
Alias  sim...

--- On Tue, 9/28/10, Doug <dj2210@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Doug <dj2210@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Catalina Conversion
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 9:47 PM

 

Most of the time I run the ICE for maybe 30 minutes tops, round trip at around 3-4 knots just to get out to the lake and back. No river current to speak of. From seeing others post here for similar size/displacement boats, 25-30 amp draw seems reasonable.

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "luv2bsailin" <luv2bsailin@...> wrote:
>
> What are your speed and range needs? Those 20 hour AH numbers don't mean much at the higher draws. I found that Trojan battery you mentioned on their site. Duration at 56A was listed as around 100 minutes. I assume that is a deep discharge. You wouldn't want to run that size battery continuously at much over 50A. I would go bigger unless you just need to tool around for an hour at 5 kt or so.
> Jim
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Steve Dolan <sdolan@> wrote:
> >
> > Take a look at the Northstar AGM's as well.
> >
> > http://www.northstarbattery.com/
> >
> > Steve in Solomons, MD
> >
> > ________________________________
> > From: electricboats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Capt. Mike
> > Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 3:11 PM
> > To: ELECTRIC BOAT GROUP
> > Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Catalina Conversion
> >
> >
> >
> > AGM makes your life easier IMO. Plus no more acid burns in your clothes. Just make sure you spec your charger to tje type of battery you are installing.
> >
> > Capt. Mike
> >
> > Sent from on board BIANKA
> > http://biankablog.blogspot.com
> >
> > ________________________________
> > From: "Doug" <dj2210@>
> > Sender: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> > Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 18:09:31 +0000
> > To: <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
> > ReplyTo: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> > Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Catalina Conversion
> >
> >
> >
> > I've been going around and around with a battery decision. I'm thinking (4) Trojan T1275 at around $900.00 or (4) Odessey Pc2150 around $1200. Trojans are wet lead acid 150amps@20hr and the Odessey is AGM 100 amps@20hr.
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com<mailto:electricboats%40yahoogroups.com>, "Doug" <dj2210@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi All
> > > Thanks for all the great info on this site I have begun the electric repower of my Catalina 27 sailboat. The Atomic 4 is disconnected and awaiting removal slated for this Wednesday. On the bench in the garage is a Mars BLDC motor mounted on a 2:1 gear reducer with a Kelly controller. I have had a chance to try both the Kelly controller and a Sevcon gen4 on the bench and both work equally well unloaded. I still need to choose batteries and manufacture mounts for motor and batteries. I don't expect to be operational for at least a month so in the meantime if the wind is favorable a trolling motor will help me out the slip.
> > > Doug
> > >
> >
>


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment