Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Power Boat Conversion

 

Stephan,


For you to have a point of reference here is my experience was re-powering a 26' Pacemaker.  If you have not done an electric boat installation I will mention the following points about electric power boat conversions. 

1.You have a hull that is not ideal for electric propulsion just like my Pacemaker.
2. Hull speed is not a problem but going beyond hull speed will gulp up energy. 
3. Range is determined by speed and Amp Hours of battery power.
4. Use of a generator for recharge and/or to run the motor will be huge.

That being said here are the details of my electric powerboat conversion.
Boat: 1972 Pacemaker 26'
Weight: 5,000 lbs
Motor: Brushless 5KW DC motor
Gear: 3:1 Planetary Reducer
Batteries: Two 48 Volt x 100 AH battery packs

Sea trials went as planned and we went out on 3 different occasions.  I have recorded data if you have an interest in the numbers.  She ran good at 5 mph and 75 Amps.  Much over 100 Amps I would see the temperature go too high. She would cruise for 3 hours using each battery pack (one at a time).  See the electric powerboat at: You Tube: "Johns Electric Boats"

I think you have chosen the right size motors; you will need to use some kind of belt or gear reducer 2:1 or 3:1.  I believe that a cleated belt reducer is actually better and will produce less heat and less noise than hard gears but that is just my own personal choice. There is a lot of engineering formulation and numbers you can run but the truth is experience and test data will shape the future for electric boat conversions.  Some conversions use electric motors coupled directly to the shaft.  High level of efficiency with few losses but also larger motors than necessary.  Hope this has been helpful. 

I am happy to share any other details that may be of interest to you.

John

 

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 1:52 PM, Stephan Hinni <hinni_mb@yahoo.com> wrote:
 

Hello EB Group

I look at my Trojan Yacht and think, well it may work. Let's give it a try!
So I'd like to ask you like-minded for tips and hints to realize this project.

My idea is to use the yacht for scuba diving and pleasure trips. I'd like to cruise at 6 to 8 knots and have a daily range from 40 nautical miles.
I want to use two 10 kW Mars Motors and let them run at 72 Volts. Battery storage is no problem once the gas engines are out! The battery charging is at the slip (110V) and while navigating 4 Solar Panels bring in a bit of extra amperes. A gas generator is on board too but it have to be fixed first.

The yacht is currently powered by 2 Chrysler 250HP gas engines. The length is 30.4 ft, breadth is 12.8 ft and she weights 16000 lbs. The propellers are 16RH16 and 16LH16 and the gear ratio is 1.52:1.

Thanks for your support and feedback!

Stephan


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment