Sunday, September 26, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: battery bank upgrade

 

Steve
Any idea what the run time and cost difference of running propane rather than Gasoline? I wonder if you could run hydrogen as well.
Aaron


From: Steve Spence <steve@green-trust.org>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Fri, September 24, 2010 3:10:53 PM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Re: battery bank upgrade

I run my honda on propane. cleans up the fumes.

Steve Spence
Renewable energy and self sufficiency
http://www.green-trust.org
http://arduinotronics.blogspot.com/



On 09/24/2010 07:04 PM, Samuel Shallard wrote:

>
> Brian; was very interested to see your post.
>
> I currently run 4 Lifeline AGM's in series and charge with a 4 Bank Dual
> Pro SE charger. I had wondered about using my Honda eu2000 for longer
> cruising. I can run 4.5-5 knots pulling around 15-17 amps at 48V.
> I had posted a few months ago to see if anyone had tried-also wrote to
> Dual Pro but did not hear back.
> Like you my only issue would be to set the Honda so the fumes are not a
> nuisance. I have been contemplating adding two more batteries for range
> but did not really want to add another 200lb in weight.
> On Sep 24, 2010, at 12:35 PM, Brian Holt wrote:
>
>> 
>>
>>
>>
>> Well the Elcon charger came this week and I installed it yesterday. It
>> charges my AGM bank higher than the Dual Pro. I did test it out
>> yesterday with my Honda 2000 generator. With my boat tied up in the
>> slip I ran the motor while hooked up to the generator. Monitoring the
>> paktrakr, I pulled 27 amp before the generator started bogging down.
>> The voltage pulling at 27amp was a constant 49.2 and would
>> occasionally climb then drop, but not below 49.2. When I shut down
>> everything after 10min of use the voltage read 51.4 which is where I
>> had started. I am very happy with these results as 20amp easily pushes
>> my boat 4knts (in calm waters). This is a great set up! I rarely will
>> use the generator, but I feel comfortable cruising longer distances
>> now with this back up. It is also nice to have two chargers onboard.
>> Hopefully the cost of LiFePo4 will come down to more reasonable cost
>> in the future. Then I will already have a charger that will work for
>> the new bank. Next project is to build a platform off the stern where
>> I can place the generator while in use to keep the smell and sound to
>> a minimum. I already have an idea utilizing my existing swim ladder. I
>> will give an update when I have more experience using this set up.
>> Thanks again for all the input!
>> Brian
>> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com
>> <mailto:electricboats%40yahoogroups.com>, "Eric" <ewdysar@...> wrote:
>> >
>> > Brian,
>> >
>> > You will need separate chargers for your AGMs and Lithium banks. The
>> batteries have significantly different charging needs. Elcon chargers
>> have different charging profiles available for the common LiFePO4
>> battery brands on the market. Be sure to confirm that any charger that
>> you are considering has lithium specific profiles available. I spent a
>> couple of months trying to get a properly configured charger from
>> Delta Q, but the factory finally said that they would not release
>> their lithium profiles unless I had bought ALL of my storage
>> equipment, including batteries and BMS through one of their distributors.
>> >
>> > But I agree with you, there is no sense in throwing away perfectly
>> servicable equipment when you can transition slowly from one
>> technology to the other. If I were to set up both banks, I would put
>> contactors on both the positive and negative leads from each battery
>> bank so that they can be completely isolated from the other and the
>> drive system. With the chargers wired to the battery sides of the
>> contactors, each bank can be charged independently. One bank can be
>> "activated" to the drive , while the other is being charged. One
>> drawback that I could see is the need for separate instrumentation to
>> track the current in and out of each pack, if you are so inclined. But
>> this configuration should work fairly well.
>> >
>> > Fair winds,
>> > Eric
>> >
>> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com
>> <mailto:electricboats%40yahoogroups.com>, "Brian Holt" <drmsudo@> wrote:
>> > >
>> > > Eric- thanks again. I am thinking of one add on bank of LI then I
>> will be able to continue to use the current agm batteries I have with
>> the charger. The future will hopefully hold a much better system. This
>> way I continue to get the $ out of my current design and expand it
>> with the new. Do you know about the charger that will work with my
>> Honda 2k? Thanks.
>> > > Brian
>> > >
>> >
>>
>
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    electricboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
    electricboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    electricboats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment