Sunday, September 26, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: battery bank upgrade

 

When I was young and foolish I sailed in the Lake Michigan Solo which was twice across Lake Michigan nonstop under sail. My boat was an Irwin 23 with an unreliable outboard which you couldn't use in the race anyways. Even if it did run if there was any kind of wave action it wouldn't stay in the water so you still had to rely on your sails. It seems to me that relying on your sails is a far simpler solution to traveling long distances than a massive electric power plant. Thanks. Steve S.

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Myles Twete" <matwete@...> wrote:
>
> Does a 2000 cycle life really mean anything to you as a boater?
>
> I mean, do you expect to use your boat more than 100 times per year on
> average?
>
> If not, you'll be hard pressed to see 2000 cycles as this would require 20
> years of use and there's reason to believe that these lithium cells won't
> last more than 10 years.
>
>
>
>
>
> From: electricboats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com]
> On Behalf Of drmsudo
> Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2010 9:05 AM
> To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [Electric Boats] battery bank upgrade
>
>
>
>
>
> I changed over my Ericson 27 Atomic 4 to electric propulsion three seasons
> ago. I have been running it on 4 group 27 92ah deka batteries. This has
> worked well for day sailing. But, we would like to start cruising and I
> would like to have a range that could take us across Lake Michigan (about 80
> miles). Most of the time we are sailing, but I want the confidence that we
> could go the distance if needed. I am thinking of using a Lifepo4 batteries
> from a company called HiPower (http://www.evequipmentsupply.com). The cost
> of the batteries alone would run about 4k, then I would need a BMS and
> charger to complete the system. The main reasons for the Lithium batteries
> would be weight savings, ability to deeply discharge without damage to
> batteries, and the number of cycles (2k) that can be charged. Anyone have
> suggestions or experience with the LiFePo4 systems? Other sources for
> batteries and how to build? I did the conversion myself, but I have no other
> experience with DC systems. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.
> Brian
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment