Sunday, September 26, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: motoring with a battery charger

 

Brian

Thanks for your info on your Elcon charger. I think you might want to use the Dual Pro to finish the charging since as you know it is really four individual chargers tied to the individual batterries. . Using the series charging Elcon for the finish charge kind of defeats the purpose for the Dual Pro to balance the batteries. Was your Dual Pro ordered for an AGM battery bank profile? Perhaps that is why your charge voltage is different. Just a thought.

Capt. Mike

Sent from on board BIANKA
http://biankablog.blogspot.com


From: "Brian Holt" <drmsudo@yahoo.com>
Sender: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 20:42:24 +0000
To: <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
ReplyTo: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: motoring with a battery charger

 



It is probably good to have changed the subject title. I will try to address several questions posed from various posts. First the charger is an Elcon PFC 2000+ which was a recommendation from from this forum. I am running a 48v battery bank (4-12v, 92ah AGM in series) to a Solid Nav explorer (48vdc) motor. The charger is hooked up to the most positive and most negative point on the bank, just like you would to charge the bank. This charger is not like the Dual Pro which is essentially 4 individual chargers combined in to one charge station. The Elcon is a bulk charger which sends about 63-64v into the battery bank on initial charge. This is at least what I am reading off the paktrkr. A note about this-my motor controller won't operate at this voltage, so I needed power the motor before the voltage bank rose that high. Also, I did not keep raising the amps to intensionally shut down the generator. I just kept pushing it to a point where I could tell the generator started working pretty hard. I was also running this through a 25ft extension cord, which by shortening this, may even improve things. I did not use the eco mode, but will try it out when I can do this for an extended motoring period. Total time I drove this was about 10min, so it really is not a true sea trial. I have tried to use the Dual Pro like this and it seemed to work for a little bit then the charger would shut down. I talked with a Dual Pro tech and they told me that it may work for a short time, but likely the computer would sense that it was making headway on the charge and shut down as a protective feature. I plan to use the Dual Pro for regular charging and the Elcon specifically for generator motoring. I have noticed that my batteries sustain a higher charge with the Elcon charger about .2-.3v per battery higher than the Dual Pro. When I ordered the Elcon they programed it specifically for my AGM brand battery. So, I may do initial charging with the Dual Pro and top off with Elcon to get the best charge and balanced pack. I think this is the most economical way to run an electric motor without the added weight and storage of a large battery bank. Here is a cost breakdown.
4-12v AGM 92ah on sale 160.00/each
Dual pro charger 400.00
Elcon charger 680.00
Honda generator (2000) 1000.00
Paktrkr with current sensor 200.00
Wiring/switch 150.00
Solid Nav Explorer 4000.00
TOTAL COST 7,070.00
That may seam like a lot, but you don't need two chargers, I would buy just the Elcon. The Honda generator can be used for other things. You can make your own motor set up and save some cost, I just chose the easier way. Also, the electric yacht has a monitor built in with the package and cost about the same as the Solid Nav. Batteries, shop around and buy only what you will need to use regularly. My day sailing 80% is easily served with 92ah bank. Also, when I cruise, I sail if I can make 3-4knts. One of the cool things I have done is to motor sail. If I give about 4-8amps in light winds I go from becalmed to about 3.5knts. I could do that all day and still cover some distance without the sound or smell of gas. Hope this addresses the several questions people have had in recent posts.
Brian

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Myles Twete" <matwete@...> wrote:
>
> Ø These are impressive results. I want to hear from others running
> electric boats off of generators.
>
> o Congratulations. 27A @ 49V is very impressive from a portable generator
> and charger.
>
>
>
> That's 1323watts---not bad.
>
>
>
> My setup:
>
>
>
> · Generator: Honda EU2000i
>
> · Charger arrangement:
>
> o Lestronic 36v, 20a
>
> o Vicor Megapac power supply configured with 5 48v/4a modules
>
> · Batteries: 36v single string, T105
>
>
>
> Operation:
>
> · Attach charger outputs to battery bank
>
> · Turn motor on, head out of marina
>
> · After away from quiet zone, start generator, let warm up and then
> put in Eco mode
>
> · Plug the Lester charger AC plug into generator (good for 20amps
> into the 36v bank)
>
> · If need more than 20amps, plug the Vicor's AC plug into the
> generator also (good for 20amps more)
>
>
>
> Performance:
>
> · 36v/40amps --- i.e. 1440w into the batteries
>
> · Has run like this for up to 17-hours continuous
>
> · Adding an additional 4amp module to the Vicor causes the generator
> to quit and overload light comes on
>
>
>
> The Reach Of Tide: www.evalbum.com/492
>
>
>
> -Myles Twete, Portland, Or.
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment