Thursday, September 2, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Props

 

I have yet to get my boat in the water I just bought it a month or so ago and am working on it everyday. I plan on single handing it as a live-aboard. I do not want to depend on the electric motor at all. Just use it when it is convenient, but sitting if I have to until the panels charge back up. I do like electrical things though. That is why I decided on electric over say an outboard. I want plenty of battery juice for living. I will venture I will use more electricity for house than I will on moving. I have been looking at solar panels and see some nice ones, but are "No warranty" for marine use. Not sure what that is about. The ones that are slated for marine use always seem to be smaller. I was hoping to build a dodger over the Cockpit out of panels two large ones. These I hope to store down below in rough weather. something like the Evergreen ES-A 210.using two would get me to 45 vlts 420 watts. I am hoping to do the Great Loop first and this should test my patience with going slow or not moving at all at times.

Dan

--- On Wed, 9/1/10, Richard Mair <fullkeel2000@yahoo.ca> wrote:

From: Richard Mair <fullkeel2000@yahoo.ca>
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Props
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 8:44 PM

 

Thanks Dan.. If we can get about 3 kts at 20 amps draw that would get us into the longest inlet on the US east coast..Since we are going to be full time cruising live-aboards again really need to keep the current draw down underway.What is very little draw for you?  From our past experience we get by on a 65 watts of solar unless we have to run the radar.  Richard

--- On Wed, 9/1/10, Daniel Michaels <nov32394@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Daniel Michaels <nov32394@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Props [1 Attachment]
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Received: Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 1:26 AM

 

Richard I think it is going to depend on what you expect while motoring. Here is a spreadsheet you can use to figure out what you may get. If you email the guy that did the spreadsheet he will send you an updated one that you cannot distribute. He only wants the real numbers you get once you get set up. The other thing you can do is just run the prop while sailing at a very low rate just enough to negate the drag. It does not use that much juice.

Dan

--- On Tue, 8/31/10, fullkeel2000 <fullkeel2000@yahoo.ca> wrote:

From: fullkeel2000 <fullkeel2000@yahoo.ca>
Subject: [Electric Boats] Props
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, August 31, 2010, 7:13 PM

 

Greetings all
our boat that we are converting to electric power is an Alberg 30. 9000 displacement (until we add our cruising 21'8" water line (when not healed)
Question is regarding the prop.Since we want to stay with a 2 blade (want to keep the amazing light air performance with the prop hidden behind the full-keel) and can go no bigger than a 13" it was recommended that we go to a 13x12 to replace the current 13x7
i would love to know what anyone with a simiular sized boat is using

Thanks Richard




__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment