Friday, September 3, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Anyone with technical experience with a Mars PMAC?

 

As long as the motor is shot I figured I'd open it up and see what's inside. I've got all the bolts and cir clips I can see off and the two case halves will rotate about a quarter turn from their mating position. What's the trick to getting it apart?

Thanks,
David

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:59 PM, Daniel Michaels <nov32394@yahoo.com> wrote:
 

I was thinking maybe a cracked magnet.

Dan

--- On Fri, 9/3/10, dennis wolfe <dwolfe@dropsheet.com> wrote:

From: dennis wolfe <dwolfe@dropsheet.com>
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Anyone with technical experience with a Mars PMAC?
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, September 3, 2010, 8:49 PM


 

These are quite difficult to get apart as there are no jack screw holes to push the two casing halves apart.  These are not designed to be repairable.
 
If the motor turned freely when you got it but now doesn't you have most likely damaged the bearings - probably a $100 motor shop job if you can get the motor apart for them.
 
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, September 03, 2010 9:32 PM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Anyone with technical experience with a Mars PMAC?

 

I bought a used Mars PMAC. It came with some sort of adapter on the shaft I didn't need. The set screws were stripped and after two days of trying to drill them out or just trying to cut through the machined adapter I've had no luck. The big problem is now the shaft doesn't turn easily. It feels like its rubbing or otherwise running into other things in there.

I'm worried this motor is just shot and I should have bought a new one in the first place, just trying to save a buck, you know?

There is one electric motor repair place in town. They're not going to know what this is since it was invented in the last thirty years (its a pretty decrepit old throw-back of a motor shop) and considering how much they charged me to put a new capacitor in a motor last year, it would end up costing as much as a new motor even if they could fix it.

Any ideas? I don't suppose I could send it back to Mars for a refurbishment?

David



__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment