Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Decibels

 

Thanks for the reply regarding noise from the gear box. I'm planning on going down the same road, using a gear box in lieu of a belt driven reduction gear.

Bob

--------------------------------------------
On Wed, 9/21/16, king_of_neworleans <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Decibels
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 8:25 AM

I forgot to mention, my
noise is negligible at very low speeds but also at very high
speeds. Above 70 amps, it quiets down a lot. I am thinking
this has to do with the shortened dwell time per pole in
relation to the pulse width, and that the midrange noise
would quiet down with a sine wave input. I am going to try
to borrow a sinewave controller from someone when I get back
from my next job, and rig some way for measuring noise
level, and compare the two. I might also try a gearbox with
a higher reduction ratio, to get motor RPM up into that
silent zone. Could be the load on the motor contributes to
the noise. I know my shaft is not as true as I would like it
to be, though it is pretty close. It is a bronze shaft and I
am considering going stainless on my next haulout. So far, I
have resisted installing any U-joints in my shafting,
because my motor mount is very finely adjustable, and I just
don't trust them enough to put them in without a
demonstrable need.

In my
limited experience and possibly flawed perception, BLDC
motor noise has a strong "click" component, as the
rotor gets micro-flexed to coin a phrase, with each pole
passage. Since accelleration is not an issue, it seems that
more rotor mass and rigidity might make for a quieter motor
without significant performance degradation.

Has anyone done any noise
comparisons between axial flux and radial flux motors?

Well I have to fly to Cyprus
and catch a ship tomorrow so I may not be on this board as
much as I would like, for the next few months. If I
don't chime in it's because I am at sea with no or
little internet access.

__._,_.___

Posted by: bob jennings <sabre281@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (16)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment