Friday, September 16, 2016

[Electric Boats] Re: Decibels

 

I don't use the Electroprop setup and actually I have never measured the noise level of my motor, currently a ME0201014201 5kw BLDC into a 2:1 enclosed gearbox turning a 14x10 3 blade prop. At full power you can hear it on the dock with the companionway hatch and lazarette hatches closed, but not when it is turning over at say 300 motor RPM. I can hear it in the cockpit with the boat closed up at any speed over about 100RPM. At no time does it even approach the speed of a quiet infernal combustion engine. I believe if I switched to a sine wave controller it would be still quieter, but I am pretty satisfied as it is. I was initially disappointed, as I was expecting just a faint whoosh or whirr but I got what I got.

I have to say though, those numbers look kinda loud. Is it belt drive, or gearbox reduction? Have you measured with the motor disconnected from the prop? Belt drives, chain drives (yuck) and open gear drives make an awful lot of noise apart from the motor noise. Certainly the motor will make more noise at a given speed under load, but maybe you might want to try uncoupling the motor and see if you can isolate the source of some of the noise. If it is belts, well, they tend to make a bit of noise, but close attention to alignment and tension can help a little bit there. This is a brushless motor, right? Square wave, or sine wave controller?

Honestly though, your setup at full power is still probably way quieter than a small diesel or gasoline engine, even idling. So after investigating noise as a possible symptom of system misalignment or misconfiguration, you may have to just live with it. Maybe build an enclosure out of fiberglass and foam, being sure to allow for ventilation of the motor.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment