Tuesday, September 6, 2016

[Electric Boats] Re: waterproofing electric propulsion

 

Thanks for mentioning heating. The PWM motor controller would be the biggest source of heat. I'll be using a 10A MPPT solar charge controller, which shouldn't generate much heat. I can envision a sealed container or compartment that I open up while using the motor, when capsize is very unlikely, and close when sailing. Vancouver never gets very hot. The water is still under 20C (70F) in the summer.

I hear you about big currents and 12V, but that's what I've got. The most current I saw from the 110W solar panel was 5A, and the most to the motor was 35A. I expect the current to the motor will increase maybe 10% with the 100AH LFP battery, which won't lose as much voltage to Peukert as my (now dead) 80AH lead acid battery did. The 8 ga. wires to the trolling motor got warm, but not hot. I'll use 6ga between the other components in the container.

My boat is a proa, which is a 20' skinny hulled outrigger sailing canoe, with lots of sealed lockers for floatation and storage. I'll put the sealed container in one of these lockers for easy access from the cockpit. I'd like to be able to run the motor for an hour at a time to get through Vancouver Harbour. I also have a Yuloh (skulling oar) that moves the boat at 2 knots when not in controlled areas of the harbour (power required).

My old system was adequate for my needs, except that it wasn't waterproof. (BTW, I'm also working on ways to reduce capsize risk when sailing in strong winds.)

__._,_.___

Posted by: cpcanoesailor@yahoo.ca
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment