Sunday, May 31, 2015

Re: [Electric Boats] Need source for 48v. panel controller and panels-- my next step !

 

You definitely want to step up to an MPPT charge controller. They are well worth the extra investment. I use the Outback Flexmax 80 but there are many other good ones out there. 

One thing about mounting your panels flat on the boat is that you will only be in the sweet spot that gives you the collectors rated output for a few hours per day. The incident angle of the panel in relation to incoming solar radiation has a huge impact on the Watts you'll get. I found that even a crude tracking method to keep the panels facing closer to the sun makes a big difference as to how much energy you can collect in a day.

For me the difference between just leaving my panels flat all day and diligently tracking the sun is about double. That is to say I can get  twice as much energy or more when I work at closely tracking the sun all day. This varies with the time of year and the course I'm stearing but in the morning and  afternoon when the sun is lower in the sky I have observed a tripling of power output between tracking and being flat. See 

 
On Saturday, May 30, 2015 10:22 PM, "'cal' h20dragon@centurytel.net [electricboats]" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Another big consideration, for sailboats in particular, is partial shading. Even the slightest bit of shade on mono or poly crystalline panels can devastate the power output. Amorphous panels are much less susceptable to this problem but they are also much less efficient to begin with so unless your panel will be partially shaded all day, I doubt it's worth the trade off. 

Capt. Carter
www.shipofimagination.com



Now that the outboard is done, battery bank hooked up and all works great, I need to look at extending the run time.  Not liking using a generator, so perhaps panels would do that ??  I was thinking of one 48 volt controller, and maybe four decent sized panels on a " Bimini " type top.  I have one top now, but could build anything to fit the panel size. if I could get 40 amps, that would be continuous power at cruise speed.  That might be asking a lot at 48 volts, so maybe half of that would work ??  Batteries are now marine deep cycle lead acids.
 
What have others done with a reliable controller would be a good start.  Maybe a brand to look for, or a place that could supply a system of panels and controller would also be helpful.  I have done biz in China, so maybe there is a tested system some one has used ??  Flexible panels preferable for an arched top, but I could be tempted to build a flat top with stiff panels, as flat ones are mostly cheaper, higher output.  Need the panels here first, to fit on any top design correctly.
 
Thanks, I would welcome any ideas on products to buy ----------  Cal 




__._,_.___

Posted by: Carter Quillen <twowheelinguy@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment