Thursday, May 14, 2015

Re: [Electric Boats] Daydreaming about the next project: An electric day cruiser...

 

So you're pretty much making the point for me.

Yes, pontoon boats have GROWN....  I was told that back "in the old days", a 16' pontoon boat was very common.  When I look on Craigslist now, I can't seem to find any under 24'.   More weight, more drag, bigger motor, more gas, gotta get a bigger truck to pull one....

My C-22 will easily go 5-6mph with a 48v Torqeedo Cruise 4, at 2KW+.  For a much more reasonable battery life, I can cruise a LOT longer at 3.5 - 4mph around 1 KW.

So the question is - if I had a 12'  pontoon boat with a 48V Torqeedo, I wonder how fast I could.
My thought is that a 12' x 6' pontoon boat would fit in the garage.  This is critical for a building project.  :)  
The 12' size is so much lighter, easier to handle, less motor, less battery - everything just gets better.

I would think I could still comfortably seat 4, maybe 5 or even 6 max on a 12' x 6' pontoon boat.  Does that sound about right?


From: "'Forums' forums@greensdomain.com [electricboats]" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2015 6:27 AM
Subject: RE: [Electric Boats] Daydreaming about the next project: An electric day cruiser...

 
6' X 12' would be a very small pontoon boat.  Most are 8' X 16' to 8' X 24'.  Mine is 8' X 24' and is powered by a Torqeedo Cruise 4.  It takes 1000 to 1200 watts to cruise at 4.5 to 5.0 MPH but each doubling of power only gets another 1 mph of speed.  Max speed at 4000 watts is 6.5 to 7.0 mph depending load.  Those speeds are perfect for my needs, but that's a very personal opinion.  It would be interesting to know the max speed of a 6' X 12' pontoon.  Someone I have met but don't know very well just purchased a small pontoon and mentioned it is electric.  Her husband passed away a few years ago and she wanted something smaller she could handle herself.  A marina sold her a new small pontoon with an electric motor.  I hope I run into her later in the season so I can get a review.  The next time I am out, I will cruise by her dock (a mile away on another part of the lake) and try to get a make and model.
 
Pat
 


From: electricboats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2015 11:04 PM
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Electric Boats] Daydreaming about the next project: An electric day cruiser...
 
 
So I was starting to daydream about what the ultimate daytime cruiser would be like....
 
A classic wooden launch would be really cool, with a nice bimini for sun protection.
 
The Duffy is really cool. And something like that could have some wood worked into it...
 
The thing is, though, that the one thing that seemed limiting about the sailboats I loved was how slow they were.  We all know how much more exponential power it takes to push a sailboat type hull (basically including a launch or a Duffy) past hull speed.
 
What's the top speed of a Duffy???  Maybe 5-6mph max cruising speed?
 
I'd really love something that could cruise at 8-10mph.  But to get a classic monohull to do that, I'd have to spend a BOATLOAD of money on a battery approaching something that could be used in a Tesla.
 
What about a pontoon boat?
 
It's not as classic, but it would at least let me go fast enough to get a reasonable distance from the marina.  And a catamaran form would be MUCH more efficient than a monohull, with plenty of space for passengers in a small, light form factor...
 
If I built something like a 6' by 12 or 13' pontoon boat, any idea how many HP it would take to get it cruising at 10mph?
 
Thoughts?
 
John
 

 


__._,_.___

Posted by: oak <oak_box@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (13)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment