Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: homebrew bldc direct drive motor?

 

>Okay I see the light. And air core coils need more turns and
>therefore more wire and have greater resistance than powdered iron
>cored coils, right?

Air core can be very efficient, but doesn't give much torque or power
for the size.

>Your thoughts on coil shape? Is flatter better than longer cylindrical shape?

I use 2" diameter x 1" long toroid cores, with 1x2x.5" or 1x2x.375"
NIB magnets. By the time the wire is wrapped around, it seems
relatively flat. Too long just puts one end outside the strong field
area of the rotor magnets, wasting electromagnet field. Too short is
doubtless wasting good PM field.

> What if u used two rotors, one forward and one aft of the stator
>coils? Would this be better utilization of the coils field by
>capturing both poles? Thanks again!

I expect you'd get more torque in the same diameter, with a lower RPM
per volt. But you won't increase the efficiency much above the 95%.
It would be interesting to try. Myself I have other priorities.
(Hmm... I guess I *could* just stick a second rotor on an extended
motor shaft externally for a test. I probably couldn't get the gap
under about 3/4" or 7/8" unless I wired the coils specially to have
the wires come out the sides instead of the end.)

You might want to look at some of my newsletters if you haven't yet.
October or November 2012 to February 2013 was the development of the
Electric Caik motor and then the outboard conversion. I'm pretty sure
I have pictures there of the coils, rotor, case et al.

(I haven't had it out since the test back then, but I've now got some
100AH lithium batteries and some halibut gear - planning a fishing
trip soon!)

Craig
http://www.TurquoiseEnergy.com/

=====

__._,_.___

Posted by: Craig Carmichael <craig@saers.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (8)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment