Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Direct drive and thrust bearings vs flange mounted ballbearing

 

I get off this ship around the last week of June and I had intended to pull the old atomic and fuel tank first day home and begin immediately. I plan to have my motors, (cheap so I figure a spare would be nice) and controller, pulleys and bushings, and thrust bearing and other stuff waiting for me to get home. But I have committed myself to a short yacht job so the re power will be broken up in phases. I have to get my customer and her boat to Miami and ft Lauderdale where she wants some work done, then come home and work on my boat some more, then when the other boat is ready take it up to Boston and return home again and finish mine. So the project begins around the end of June but might not be completed until end of July. I would like to postpone my project until you complete your direct drive install, but I really can't put it off any longer. Got a leaky fuel tank and I hate gasoline in the bilge lol! Can't repair the tank without removal, and can't pull the tank without pulling the atomic, so now is the time to do the conversion. I don't think direct drive is the best way to go with the 4201 motor but I would still like to see some hard data on one if someone is going to do it anyway. In different circumstances you might make a believer out of me lol. Eventually I will be building a motor and controller and experimenting with direct drive but for right now I don't have time or money for anything but using cheap off the shelf technology in a manner proven to work well by a multitude of diy-ers. I can build a controller cheap, though it will take a couple of weeks. I can build the motor I want, but it is going to be very expensive and like the controller take weeks. And more weeks, experimenting with different coil configurations. None of this would be feasible on my initial install. I want to just get it in and get it running so for now it will be motenergy motor, Kelly controller, and belt reduction. After I re-prop, I will try a few different ratios and see where I get max efficiency. With the quick disconnect bushings I can change pulleys fairly easy. Are you using the Kelly, or one of the Sevcon gen4 controllers? Btw Thunderstruck has a prefab reduction unit for I think $600. Still need to mount it to the hull with a fabrication. I think it has QD bushings. They use a cogged timing belt. I will be using triple "B" vee belts which are available anywhere. I may only use two belts, or at least try it. I don't believe a single B belt Would work well. Two might have lower friction losses. Not sure if it is significant.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (12)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment