Friday, May 30, 2014

[Electric Boats] Re: Direct drive and thrust bearings vs flange mounted ballbearing

 

Hi Hannu,

Thanks for your input. I put 3kN in as an max estimate and the calcs showed 4.04kN for dynamic axial load rating for the bearing

Looking at a 10m sailboat with locked 3 blade 14" prop giving a drag of about 45kg (100lbf) at 7 knots, and my 26ft boat with long keel protecting the prop and max bollard pull of around 150lbf,with max running thrust of around 100lbf - then it seems the safety factors are OK. I appreciate the difference between dynamic and shock load as you suggest. My prop is also in an aperture and shielded further by the deadwood.

I use a flex coupling between prop and motor shaft and flex isolation mounts for the motor mounting, so short of lots of R & D money I think I'm safe, if not completely without risk.

I suppose my arrangement is no different to the original 10bhp Volvo motor, where the gearbox bearing took these loads. I never did find out that bearing rating.

Real world testing so far has not shown up any problems. I also assume direct drive motors like the Elco take the same approach but I don't know their bearing arrangement?

John

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (14)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment