Monday, May 26, 2014

Re: [Electric Boats] Lever actuated PWM controller?

 

This is one of the reasons I went to a golf car controller. Reliable, simple, cheap, and way more robust than what comes on the motors from the OEM.
Minn Kota trolling motors have flexible composite shafts, also a nice thing for shallow water boats.
I might try playing around with some airplane props this year as well. See what happens.

 
mattelderca


On Saturday, May 24, 2014 10:27:42 PM, "john_casperson@yahoo.com [electricboats]" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


 
Well, I've wrecked my boat shown in the Sunplucker photos twice in the past few weeks.

Both times caused were caused by failures in one of the Varimax Controller heads.

The first time the port head suddenly shifted itself into reverse, sending me into a dock I was cruising by.  The shift handle had remained pulled forward the whole time.  I replaced the head. 

Today, the port unit stayed in forward after I pushed the handle back for reverse to turn a corner.  The water was low and I hit a submerged piling that I knew was there.  Bent a motor downshaft.  Didn't hurt the plastic prop.  (The motor is still in forward)

Both times when the boat failed to respond, I applied more power to the misbehaving motor, which was a mistake because the prop was spinning in the wrong direction.

I'd replace both heads with lever type PWMs if there were some commercially available.  What I envision would be like a modern outboard throttle, where you push it forward to go forward, and back to go back, and it stays put when you let it go.  Needs to handle 40 amps, 13.2V and be waterproof.

I ran some more speed vs. current draw trials today.  Power needs pretty much double for each mile an hour added.  These runs were with a 7 inch pitch model airplane prop cut down to 9 inches diameter, and drawing more water than earlier tests with a 6 x 10 prop.

3mph--8.5 amps
4mph--17 amps
5mph--33amps
6mph 67 amps

Prindle hulls ran inside facing out.  About 575 pounds as tested.  15ft waterline length.  Two runs in each direction, averaged and rounded.  Measured by GPS and digital ampmeter.

John Casperson



__._,_.___

Posted by: matt elder <mattelderca@yahoo.ca>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment