Monday, May 26, 2014

[Electric Boats] short circuit in ignition switch

 

Hi, 


I have a wooden boat with the thunderstruck ME0913 kit (see link below).


The ignition switch is connected to a tyco connector. After a particularly brutal sailing day out on SF Bay where we shipped large seas the electrical components below had gotten a bit wet. When we got out of breeze I went to turn on the motor and I got a little buzzing shock on my finger tip. Not a big zap, but enough to not try again until we got to the dock and things dried out. Then I tried again and the motor did not start. I looked at the controller (Sevcon Gen4) and it was flashing 7 green which indicates high/low voltage problems (the two issues of course are not necessarily directly related). I disconnected the 48V supply and waited until till after dinner then tried again. All worked fine. 


So two questions (assuming that I have already done everything practical to make sure water can never come into the compartment):


1) What do you think the cause of the short circuit was?

2) How can I protect against this in the future?


Note: The 48V pack is floating, it is not grounded to the prop shaft or other ocean connected ground.


 http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/12.5kw-brushless-sailboat-kit.html 

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment