Monday, May 26, 2014

Re: [Electric Boats] Electric or air cooling foroutboard question?

 

Exactly what I am doing now, good luck with that.  Mine works good, except for excessive noise that we are still working on.  Best of Luck,   Cal
 
Sent: Sunday, May 25, 2014 12:01 AM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Electric or air cooling foroutboard question?
 
 

Hello to all,

This is my first posting, so here is a little about the project. I am
Yahzdi Taillon. My friend Ken Tate and I have acquired a 26' Columbia
River Scow of unknown origin.

To power it we are converting a 40HP Suzuki outboard to electric power.
The general plan for now is to use a 48VDC 10KW Golden Motor liquid
cooled brushless DC motor and their matching sine wave controller. First
let me state I am new to electrification of any vehicle, so most of my
decisions have been based on what sounds cool (pun intended). I have
done a lot of homework but the liquid cooling decision has little real
knowledge behind it. I have decided that I want the motor reversing
function to be electric motor reversing and not outboard gear box
reversing. So using the outboard's water pump is not an option.

That is my question to the group. What are your personal views and why?
My first reason for liquid cooling was to avoid motor cooling fan noise.
I decided I would pump raw water (sea water because we are in
Bellingham) through the motor and a fabricated aluminum water cooling
plate for the controller. Ken works for an aluminum boat building
company so we get the benefits of very reasonable CAD designed and cut
aluminum fabrication.

It didn't take long to see possible flaws in that scheme. Pumping sea
water through a motor that is probably made of aluminum and probably has
relatively small waterways might not be very clever. So I am now looking
at a closed loop for the motor with a pump to circulate the coolant
through the motor and one side of a fabricated aluminum heat exchanger,
and a separate pump with strainer to circulate raw water through the
other side of the heat exchanger. The heat exchanger would do double
duty as the controller heat sink.

Ken has suggested the possibility of using a radiator with a fan.
Plausible I think, but I just re-introduced fan noise.

This is getting quite complicated and costly just to avoid fan noise. At
this stage of the motor conversion project, all we actually have on hand
is the Suzuki outboard that works fine except for the very dead power
head, and 12 12V 139AH AGM batteries. So we are still in a position to
change our plan.

I understand the problem being solved is getting rid of the heat the
motor generates when being used. I have no real experience with how much
heat there is or how challenging it is to get rid of.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Regards,

Yahzdi

--

To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts. Thoreau

--

To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts. Thoreau

__._,_.___

Posted by: "cal" <h20dragon@centurytel.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment