Thursday, May 8, 2014

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Dampening

 

Yes.
At low rpm (under 600) cogged tooth drive belts are very, very quiet.
They are about 98% efficient, far better than any gearbox.

--   -hanermo (cnc designs)  

Hi hanermo.
I agree, cogged belt drives are very quiet.  However, not inherently more efficient than gears.  The Emerson/Browning gear reductions are also 98% efficient per reduction stage (single stage for the gear ratios that we typically deal with here) and are very durable. 
There are good reasons to choose either type of drive.  For my boat, I prefer the virtual lack of maintenance provided by my gearbox, I think I'm supposed to change the gear oil at 10,000 hours. MTBF is close to 100,000 hours.  Maybe that's why we see way more gearboxes than belt drives in industrial and commercial applications.
My gearbox does make some noise, not much, but I prefer that to completely silent.  At least I get some visceral feedback while the motor is on rather than having to rely solely on instrumentation to check my speed or even to tell if the motor is on.
Fair winds and smooth seas,
Eric
Marina del Rey, CA

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (10)


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment