Monday, May 12, 2014

[Electric Boats] Re: Chargers and Batteries in California

 

Hi Mike, I've had great results with my ElCon PFC2000+ and my 160Ah 50V LiFePO4 battery pack. The batteries and charger together weigh just 215 lbs. The batteries have exceeded my expectations. I knew all about the small size, fast charging, and long life. What I have been surprised by is the incredibly low self discharge rate and the ability to be ignored by me when my life gets too busy to visit the boat regularly. In the past, lead based house batteries, both flooded and AGM have rarely survived past 3 years with me, losing too much capacity after being ignored for a couple of months at a time. I've left the batteries 60% full, returning months later, the batteries were still above 50%. A little more than 2 hours on the charger, and they were good to go. More than 4 years later, the batteries are testing out to greater than rated capacity. The charger runs great, pushing full power, 27A, to more than 95% charge with a very short taper to full. The charger is highly efficient, with an output of more than 1500W while pulling only 1650W of AC power. The charger has significant cooling fins with a biscuit fan, after 4 hours of full bore charging, the charger is just slightly warm to the touch. The charger has never run 5 hours, my longest charge of 120Ah took right around 4.5 hours at the dock. As for using the charger as a power supply while under way, my Yamaha EF2000iS will support the PFC2000+, barely. Still, with a full 1500W of charger output, my boat cruises around 4.3kts on the charger alone. However, I've only got about an hour of running directly off of the Yamaha, my proof of concept run to collect objective data. With a range of more than 20nm on batteries alone at the same 4.3kts, I've never had to go into generator/charger mode "in anger". Each of these components is a high-tech option, albeit with a higher initial cost. But they deliver performance that can't be matched by "old school" versions, lead based batteries, transformer chargers, or non-inverter generators. For me, my money has been well spent. This might not be the info that you're looking for, it's just my personal measured and documented experience. Fair winds and smooth seas, Eric 1964 Bermuda 30 ketch, 5.5 kW Propulsion Marine drive, 8kWh lithium batteries Marina del Rey, CA.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment