Thursday, May 15, 2014

[Electric Boats] flexible AGM installation?

 

Good Day, I've installed my new electric motor. Its time to get my batteries installed.


I'm attempting to install without having to cobble up the existing structure of my Stone Horse Sloop and to keep the weight as low as possible. I'm certain that there's enough space to install most of a 36v battery bank directly atop my internal concrete and lead keel. Its just that the dimensions of the common batteries don't quite fit this "un-square" area. I want to utilize AGM batteries with approximately 150+ Ah for this daysailer. ( I can't afford lithium, so don't go there)


Frequently, I see "custom" lithium battery banks. Is there such a thing for AGM batteries?


Also, I'm aware of the need for not enclosing batteries. There are plenty of openings that would allow for gases to vent into the boat and escape. Could someone confirm that I wouldn't be creating a safety concern by installing this battery bank, low in the boat. Unlike propane, these hydrogen gases rise, correct? I see very little difference in say mounting batteries on my quarter berths as opposed to this "on top of the keel" arrangement.


My design goal is to complete the install without any appliances other than the Elco Motor (charger, batteries) being visible. I'm almost there.


The important question, are there high quality AGM cells available that would allow for a highly flexible installation totaling just 36 v?


Thanks, John



__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Just launched ! Link preview on Yahoo Groups
Visit your Group on the web, simply paste the link to the article, photo or video you wish to share in the message you are composing.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment