Friday, October 14, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Regen Success

 

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 01:08:19PM -0400, Jason Taylor wrote:
>
>
> Wouldn't a battery selector switch in the "both" position have allowed some
> charging to take place?

There's no battery selector switch installed in this system; when I get
around to redoing it, that's one of the things that I'm going to add.
This boat is rather new to me, but one of the things I've already done -
really, the first major thing - was to greatly simplify the electrical
system by ripping out all the crap wiring in the engine compartment as
well as several other "target-rich environments" and reconnecting them
with short runs of heavy wire, distributed locally where necessary.
Fortunately, I didn't have to do that with the main panel; it had been
rewired by a former CG Master Chief - or so the previous owner said; in
any case, whoever did it was moderately competent. I ended up with
several hundred feet (!) of extra wire, of which about 20' was worth
keeping. Heck, just the back of the cockpit switch panel - 6 switches
and a power socket - gave me about 50' of wire, plus fuses and fuse
holders (dangling loose behind a glued-down panel that took an hour to
remove... brilliant!), wire nuts, taped-over gobs of tangled speaker
wire (that was autopilot power as well as grounding for everything. No,
really.), etc. All of it got replaced with *two* runs of 12-gauge duplex
Ancor cable straight from the panel and several lugs and jumpers on the
backs of the switches. The only thing I can't figure out is why someone
spent what had to be days to create this kind of a mess when they could
have done a decent job in half an hour...

This boat was gorgeously maintained with regard to its wood and general
structure, but its engine and its electrical system were mostly a horror
show. Both of these had to get ripped out and replaced... but I knew
that when I bought the boat, and the final price reflected that.

> Of course, ACRs should
> only be used with two identical banks, or so I've been told.

I see nothing like that in the docs, nor is there any reason that I can
imagine for something like that. I think someone misinformed you.

--
Ben Okopnik
-=-=-=-=-=-

__._,_.___
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment