Sunday, October 16, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Well, I am pleased to meet you, won't you guess my name.

 

Architects live in a fantasy world.
Engineers live in a perfect world.
and it's up to the field guys to drag them (kicking and screaming) into the real world.

I'm not sure where the gentleman got his information, but...
A 4 horse Briggs and Stratton side shaft with an oil bath air cleaner, (salvaged from my grandfather's 1950's lawnmower)
with an 8" reeve salvaged from an electric dryer will, in fact drive, two 70's era GMC truck alternators (with stock pullies) so well I pulled it apart to add 2 more alternators (and fix the oil leak on the main shaft).

I apologize for correcting our esteemed member, but anyone with any doubts should try spinning an auto alternator by hand.
I'll post a video ASAP

...Before you ask, no, I don't know how many watts it puts out.

Regards

Mark

From: Ben Okopnik <ben@linuxgazette.net>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, October 16, 2011 12:45 PM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Well, I am pleased to meet you, won't you guess my name.

 
On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 07:59:14AM -0700, Femm wrote:
>
> The simple rule is you can pull 450 to 500 watts per horsepower direct
> drive and 400 to 450 belt drive per horsepower on small power sources. Like
> single cylinder engines.

Nice. I'd never heard of it, but it makes a lot of sense. So, 150A @ 15V
is 2250W and takes 5-5.5HP on a belt system; pretty much dead on with
Nigel's estimate.

--
Ben Okopnik
-=-=-=-=-=-


__._,_.___
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment