Friday, October 21, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Comments from the group please 70 ft catamaran

 


I think he just made a clerical error and meant that he plans to use 235W modules.

I am also in the process of converting a 30 yo, 45'(15 ton) concrete bilge keel cruiser into a hybrid diesel/solar drive. I have several 235W panels and recently got another kilowatt of (4)250W panels which replaced the 235W model that I previously bought. They are identical in size but one is a little more efficient.

I plan on having about 4.5KW total on my solar canopy and push the boat at hull speed with an 8hp motor. It's a little bit of guesswork right now but the existing 40hp diesel will get the boat to hull speed at just a little more than idle.

I am ready to buy my electric drive components and am also agonizing over which motor, Agni,Lemco,Mars,D&D as well as the choice of brushless or brushed, which controller etc. The prices for components with virtually the same specs are all over the map and there may or may not be good reasons for the price variations.

Has anyone had the opportunity to burn any of these motors up and have an opinion on which manufacturers are the best choice for durability and longevity?

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "mark.jumaga" <markj@...> wrote:
>
> The hulls are now being constructed, this vessel WILL be powered by electric motors. I will be using the largest (235 w) power per sq ft solar panels I can find. The rest of the system has not been specd yet, but I have a lot of research (3 years). Comments please on components and or complete systems. I am not going to buy a retail packaged system due to cost. Recommendations for batteries, motor type, controllers, voltages of the system, generator, regeneration, drive type, caveats, experiences.
> I expect a minimum of a 30 HP drive for each side, probably closer to 50. Large prop so drive pod is not possible.
> Thankyou so much. A brief response is sufficient if you don't have time to comment.
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment