Thursday, October 20, 2011

[Electric Boats] Greetings

 

Another newbie here. Does it ever end?


Have spent the morning reading a few posts and have replied to a post of a relative other newbie. I am in the process of developing a total electric sailboat that I intend to be my home within the next couple of years. I am also an avid diver, though that is preferred to warm salt water as I find wetsuits a total drag. I own a skin but have worn it only one day. Currently there are 2 regs, a Brut that is being assembled for bottom cleaning and the like and an Oceanic Delta 4, 2 BCD's, fins etc., lots of soft weights and 6 AL 80 tanks and 2 spearguns. Where to put all this on a 26 foot sailboat?

I believe in the adage that people in motor boats have a special place to go and that people on sailboats are already there. Before reaching the decision to go electric my priority was to be free of fuel docks and fossil fuels so it was with this that prompted going sans motor, and there are many out there cruising the world without. The situation here is that there is a method of propulsion that will require a motor. My major concern and the knowledge desired is type of battery (AGM vs. Lithium) number of batteries (for both propulsion and house.) and acquiring enough charge rate to keep all this happy. There will be an absolute adaptation of my lifestyle to the abilities of the systems on board and not adapt the systems to accommodate my land-based perceived needs. If living on land had been so great there would be no consideration to liveaboard. Living without refrigeration, microwave, TV, daily paper delivery and the Schwan's man will be ok (Have a way to go with pizza delivery! ;-).

Do not have a boat at this time. The one I want was on the hook but let it go away. It was not until after it was sold that the full ability of it to fill my every desire for a boat was realized (Slap on forehead immediately followed!). So now it is off to the search again with those found going for twice the price and on the wrong side of the pond! Geez! Meanwhile am somewhat satisfying myself with experimenting with the motorized propulsion system. Did I say electrical?

Whew! Sorry! Please stay tuned for my next book!

Michael

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment