Friday, September 2, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] reverse solenoids

 

Dennis,

Thanks for the kind words. It was a fun project.

I sort of avoided the issue of recharging because I came up with a scheme which works, but probably breaks all the rules. I ran a GFI protected 20 amp line to 5 feet above the high tide line and put an outlet. Then I bought 100 feet of rubber garden hose and stuffed (3) 12 gauge THHN wires through it. At the outlet end I spliced in a short length of #12 extension cord with the male end and at the other end I attached the hose to a 2 foot length of 4" PVC pipe (with all the right fittings, including a screw-in cleanout plug). Inside this pipe I have coiled up about 6' of the other end of the extension cord. The whole mess winds up on a reel next to the outlet. At charging time (I have about 6 hours around high tide) I run the hose out to the boat in a dinghy. It uncoils as I row. I connect the charger and row back and plug it in. It works great. If the business end is dropped in the water the pipe floats and keeps water out, although the cleanout threads are supposed to be doped, so they do leak a little. I have a second mooring close to shore for the charging. From it runs a line to shore, with bow and stern connection points. My charger is a 25 amp (at 36V)  Quickcharge. I have six 6V Trojan T105s.

The motor and gears are noisier than I'd like, at least at full speed, which I rarely use. At lower speeds I find myself moving faster than I think, frequently coming up to my mooring or a dock too fast (hence the desire for reverse!). I have left one side of the motor cover open for cooling (and steering), so if I closed this up it would be quieter. I considered other drive options, but my problem here in Maine is vast amounts of rockweed and lobster gear constantly getting fouled in the prop. With an outboard and well I can just reach down and pull it off. Bruce

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Dennis Wolfe <dwolfe@dropsheet.com> wrote:
 

Jeremy nailed the solenoid answer but I just wanted to say congratulations on a very nice project.  You will love the electric power.

I read your blog and noted you are going to keep it on  a mooring.  How will you recharge?

Also, how is the motor / gear noise?

Denny Wolfe
www.wolfEboats.com



 

Hi EB people

I have built an 18 foot launch of my own design named Eleccentricity http://www.affordableacadia.com/2011/eleccentricity-launched/ and I have been stymied over reverse. Naturally, I should be asking how others have done it so here I am. It currently cannot go in reverse unless I shift the gears on the electrified outboard; a bother to do remotely. Obviously I could reverse polarity to the motor (PM Mars 0909)and this is how I would like to do it with solenoids or relays if I can find ones rated for 80 amps.





__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


A bad score is 598. A bad idea is not checking yours, at freecreditscore.com.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment