Tuesday, September 6, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Potential electric boat conversion first timer here

 

Hi Daniel,

I'm sure that EY can provide a great solution. I found that the key point that made me more confortable with the reduced range that electric systems typically have was when I thought about how much fuel I would use when I went sailing. My ketch had a range of more than 150 motoring miles as a diesel, but my motoring range under electric alone is around 20nm. At first, I thought that this would be too much of a compromise. Then when I stopped and evaluated the way that I had actually used the boat for a decade, I discovered that I had rarely burned more than one gallon of fuel in a single outing, including sailing 30 miles offshore to Catalina Island and back.

Since there is still a remote possibility of needing more range than my 8kWh of Lithium batteries can provide on a single charge, I have a portable Yamaha 2000 generator that will support my regular battery charger. I've tested the configuration, and my boat will motor at 4.3kts on generator power alone, but I've never needed to fire the generator up to get somewhere. It's packed away in a lazarette on longer trips, just in case...

It sounds like you've already been discussing your conversion with an EY rep, but in case you want to check out other options, some reputable vendors that frequent this group are (in alphabetical
order) Advanced Marine electric Propulsion, Annapolis Hybrid Marine (seller of ASMO drives), Electric Yacht, and Propulsion Marine. They all sell good products, I chose Propulsion Marine in Santa Barbara when I converted my 1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda 30, I couldn't be happier with the product and the vendor support.

Anyway, we're glad to have you aboard. Keep us posted on your progress.

Eric
Marina del Rey, CA

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Daniel <linearaccel@...> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> Thought I would say hi - just joined your forum mostly to read the rich info you have here and didn't want to lurk without an introduction. My Perkebeke 4-108 is effectively past its prime and so I'm about to pull the trigger on an Electric Yacht conversion. Just figuring out some loose ends first, really. Bob at Boat Bits pointed me to EY, and through them and his post here I found you all.
>
> Thanks for putting your collective heads together here and I look forward to the day the ol' guzzler leaves!
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Daniel Collins
> Skipper of s/v Aletheia, a 1978 Allied Princess 36' Ketch #115
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


A bad score is 598. A bad idea is not checking yours, at freecreditscore.com.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment