Thursday, June 9, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Newbie

 

correct me if I am wrong, but if you have a sail boat you usually only need it for entering and leaving the marina until you get to the open waters. If this is true, then you don't have to have a killer system that you will rarely use to its full potential. The exception is if there is a reason that prevents you from using your sails to cruise and need the electric motor to get back home. That is my two cents.

William A. Garrison

--- On Wed, 6/8/11, pepperwynn <pepperwynn@gmail.com> wrote:

From: pepperwynn <pepperwynn@gmail.com>
Subject: [Electric Boats] Newbie
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, June 8, 2011, 7:13 AM

 

Hello, E boaters. I'm fishing for opinions and technical info in my hopefully pending conversion of a 40ft sailboat. Its a big heavy cruising boat (with a dead engine), and I shudder at the thought of putting another diesel engine in the thing. The problem is where I live in Puget Sound the wind is fickle, so i'm trying to reconcile changing my cruising habits with available technology. Now that I can get a powerful enough AC motor, my issue is how to make a defacto diesel electric. I'm thinking lotsa 8D batteries and a 10kw genset would allow me to cruise 3 to 4 hours a time with a 10kw draw at 80% of hull speed.
Has anyone out there tried this?

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Find useful articles and helpful tips on living with Fibromyalgia. Visit the Fibromyalgia Zone today!

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment