Saturday, June 4, 2011

[Electric Boats] re Simple electric drive setup

 


Hi, Lloyd, first thanks for the response to my other subject re solar
panels, and the tips, I will look up the Alaska info.

Regarding a simple electric drive, I don't think that you are missing
anything. If you look at the traffic on the street, especially in North
America, you will see lots of carrying capacity passing by, driven by
engines that are consuming more fuel moving metal than they use moving
people.
And, just as when if I have a 300Hp car, I can get out of bad
situations, so it is with boats that there is a 'need' to go as fast as
possible, or be able to.
Some of them will be on long trips, some on shorter ones. The need for
power or range can be justified. Or excuses can be made not to go that
fast.
So, boats are probably following the road vehicle sales business model.
It does not mean that an individual has to follow that.
And if you were to look back at posts here, you will find that the
'depends on your situation' phrase comes up a lot. My situation for the
next year or two will be learning to sail in a sheltered inlet, slightly
tidal, maybe 3 miles long by half a mile across maybe, if I stay at the
inner end away from the channel out to the Atlantic. With a 26 foot
boat, I could probably manage using oars.
But others are in different locations. Some have no sails. Some are in
high current areas, no doubt.
But, I for one would be delighted to hear what your idea of what 'any'
electric motor is.
I can find what I want (500 watts) online, at under $90. But they want
over 50% of that price added on for shipping into Canada, then there is
Duty, so I am currently looking locally here in Nova Scotia. 6 email
enquiries sent out this week, zero responses - seems that no-one USING
these motors in products such as scooters are prepared to sell them as a
separate item. Maybe that is what is missing!
The need for fans, especially when running motors slowly, I believe, has
been mentioned before here, as has decreasing the torque load by
different prop selection or gearing that speeds the motor up.

John

4. Simple electric drive setup
Posted by: "traveler_lloyd" lloyd545220-wyoming@yahoo.com
traveler_lloyd
Date: Fri Jun 3, 2011 10:45 pm ((PDT))

I have not installed an electric drive yet, so I may be naive.

It seems to me that any electric drive or electric motor should work for
most smaller boats which do not need a lot of speed. (I own a 28'
Herreshoff designed sailboat. Speed is not real important to me.)
On-board solar and wind generators could provide for the recharging of
the batteries. (I have solar panels on-board my boat.) And an on-board
generator using any fuel should provide power when the batteries are
depleted.

I've read about cooling problems here. They are the same cooling
problems that computers have. The answer is a fan or blower of some
sort, the same as your computer requires only larger.

So, what am I missing?

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - A fast, anti-spam email service.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment