Monday, June 6, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Portable generators (was Siandra unplugged)

 


Hi Arby,

I have the Yamaha EF2000iS generator with a fuel line valve and a fuel tank vent valve. My generator has not ever leaked fuel (as far as I know), but I keep both valves closed when the generator is not running. This includes while in storage, transporting it in my car or truck or while on-board either of my sailboats. I'm not suggesting that this type of generator can't or won't leak, just that mine never has.

Perhaps I'm just lucky...

Fair winds,
Eric
Marina del Rey, CA

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Arby bernt <arbybernt@...> wrote:
>
> Dear E-Boaters,
> Has anyone ever had a generator leak fuel?
> The Coast Guard won't certify portable generators that have the fuel tank gravity fed. In addition, the side draft carburetor can leak fuel out of the air cleaner, should the needle valve become fouled with contamination, as happened to me with a Honda 5hp powering a water-jet kayak (Mokai). The half gallon of fuel sloshing in the bilge would have provided quite a sunburn, had the vapors ignited.
> Put a Honda genny in the back of a truck, and a rough road will empty the fuel tank as a result of the float jumping around if the fuel tank valve is left open.
> Will a heeling or pitching boat have the same effect?
> I've been recommending power converters (WFCO) instead of battery chargers, as they are designed for continuous output, and include a three stage battery charger as well. In the event of a low battery condition, a genny and the power converters can provide power to get home. Back on the dock, the power converters offer high charging rates that stay within the 20% ratio of charging current to battery capacity.
>
> Has anyone experienced a leaking generator?
>
> Be Well,
> Arby
>  
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment